1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SANSAMP PREAMP COMPARISON

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnnycat42, Aug 28, 2007.

1. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    OK, I just bought a Crown Power Amp to pair with a SANSAMP preamp of some sort. I have a PBDDI already so I am curious if anyone has compared the different SANSAMP Bass Pre's driving a power amp. Is there any advantage to going to a RBI other than the dedicated Mid? Is it worth it? I like the PBDDI since you can get 3 different tones at your feet. Anyone try all of them in front of power as well.

PARA
    BDDI
    PBDDI
    RBI
    RPM

Note: The newest generation of SANSAMP pedals has a 1/4" OUT BOOST.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    My comparison of running the following into a QSC PLX1602:

The BDDI and the PBDDI sound identical to my ears. One is programmable, the other is not.

The RBI sounds very different to the BDDI/PBDDI despite them being marketed as sounding similar. The RBI seemed to have much lower levels of OD even with the drive control cranked. The RBI also seems to have a generally brighter tone, but one that remains more full than the BDDI/PBDDI. The BDDI/PBDDI by comparison sounded darker in the lows/low-mids but clankier in the upper-mids/highs. I don't know that either is better or worse, just different.

They are all mid-scooped by default (this is not speculation, it was confirmed in an email from Lloyd at Tech21). Rolling back the blend knob helps this a TON. The mid knob on the RBI can be used to add some mids back into your tone, but its voiced at 1khz so I didn't find it to be the most useful of frequencies to boost heavily.

I've not had much of a chance to try the PARA/RPM, but I would really like to as I think they'd be more my flavor than the RBI/PBDDI/BDDI. Hopefully that helps :)

3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    i have both the rpm and rbi and use them to push both SS and tube power amps. i've posted a lot on this so give the ol search button a try. :)

JR