Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp question?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    When using as a stompbox do I need to turn the pre amp on my amp down a little or do I just need to leave it as is and adjust the settings on the Sansamp accordingly??

I just got one the other day and have only played around with it on my practice combo at my house, we've got band practice tonight and I'm gonna try it out for the first time on my gigging rig.

Thanks!

2. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    if you're using it as a stompbox, I assume you want it for a little more grit (as opposed to your regular amp sound); in that case, just make sure you have the level adjusted so you don't overload the bass amp's pre-amp

If you're just running it in front of your amp and you want the full tone od the sansamp, see if you can bypass the amp's "pre-amp/tone control" section and go straight from the SansAmp to your power-amp stage...I do this on my combos and it sounds delicious

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    I'm running it through a Peavey TNT 115 combo with a 2x10 extension cab.

I used it during practice thurs. night as a stompbox and it sounded really good, the highs sounded much better and the lows sounded amazing....I had to turn the master vol. down as well as the vol. on my bass.

So in order to bybass the pre amp on the combo do I need to run it through the FX loop??

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    another question, so the EFX loop....do i hook the send cable into the input of the sansamp and the return into the output of the sansamp?

and do I just plug the guitar into the regular input??

do i need to turn the pregain down since I am trying to bypass it?

thanks!

5. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    On my Peavey TKO 65, I would go:

bass-->SansAmp--->the "Power amp in" jack on the Peavey (thus bypassing the Peavey tone control section).

This way the SansAmp is responsible for all of your tone into the Power amp section (the preamp stage and equ on the Peavey won't even work, since they've been bypassed).

All you'll have to worry about are the "level" knob on your sansamp and the "post" knob on your PEavey

PLUS! - you can XLR out from the SansAmp to your PA and get a killer direct tone

Hope this helps!

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    well since mine doesn't have a "power amp in" jack, do you think i should just run it into the "return" jack on the EFX loop??

7. Yes

8. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    concur!

9. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks for the help!!

I've never really messed with many effects before..

Cheers!

10. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    One last question i thought of.........on the SABDDI would I need to switch the output switch to "line" instead of "instrument"?? or is it necessary for me to need a hotter signal?