Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp RBI or Ampeg SVPCL

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by AcousTronic, Feb 6, 2006.

1. AcousTronic

AcousTronic

Jun 14, 2005
    Miami, FL
    I'm looking for a bass preamp that will give the BEST bass sound in the studio, without breaking the bank... I've heard good things about both of these pres, and figured I'd get your thoughts.

RBI is an amp modeler that can be very versatile, but the SVPCL should get me a true SVT sound, shouldn't it? I'm wondering how much more I would need as long as I have a great SVT sound. I'm looking for a Great sound, not just good sounds.

BTW, my main bass is a 5 string Warwick Double Buck, if that makes a difference in which direction to go.

Any help you could provide is very appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    You need to qualify what you consider to be the best. At the very least you need to pick whether your ideal tone is hi-fi or colored.

I've never used the RBI, but I have the BDDI. It's not an Avalon U5 or a revved up Neve clone, but it does a pretty good job of making a wide range of studio-usable bass sounds. I use that over just about anything else lately.

You will not get the SVT sound out of a preamp.

Consider that ideally you will not be using just the preamp. There is a whole range of trickery that you can do with cabs and mics and reamping to get whatever tone is appropriate, and it's often better to have a couple of pieces of decent gear than a single piece of amazing gear. Especially if you know what you're doing with it.

3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I just did a handful of tracks (heavey rock - QOTSA/Foo Fighters kinda thing) with both of these... mostly with a passive jazz. my thoughts:

SVP is my preference and the one I'll be keeping for the live rig. Warmer, more organic, and sat in the mix better. Had a little of the old Black Sabbath sound that I love, without being too muddy or getting lost.

RBI was much brighter and had a much hotter output. I could get a nicer overdrive sound out of it, but had to bump the lows way up to get "warm" out of it, and I thought that just made it sound too nu-metal. the guitar players liked it quite well.

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i havent used the RBI, but i have the CL. i use it for live shows and for recording.

i love this preamp, as it gives me the deep, dub bass sound that i am looking for with clarity. i wasnt striving to get 'that Ampeg' sound out of it, though those are options are in there.

5. AcousTronic

AcousTronic

Jun 14, 2005
    Miami, FL
    msquared: To qualify what I consider a great bass sound is a deep, growling yet clean tone, that will still find it's way of cutting through the mix, and be pronounced without being muddy. I may be asking a lot from a single pre, but I'm pretty good with my DAW in bringing out tones as long as I have a good starting point.

Based on what DougP, and BrotherNewt said about the SVP being "warmer, organic, deep dub-bass, and sitting in the mix", make me think that it could be the pre for me. Thanks guys!

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have struck upon the magin combination of the ampeg svp with the RBI in the effects loop.

RBI is a very clean sound if you want -records really well. --but if you love the ampeg sound and that is the sound you want on tape/Hd then go for the Ampeg. The sans amp sounds great but it's not a perfect ampeg imitation by any stretch.