1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp RBI recording set up

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Schooley_m, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Schooley_m

Schooley_m

May 22, 2016
    Hello all, I currently only have my bass (Ibanez SR500) and my now dead practice amp that isn't worth fixing. I recently played through a buddies RBI and loved the tone (he was using a Hartke LH1000 through an Ampeg 8x10). After talking to him about how i wanted to get a home recording set up going, and also needed a practice amp, he recommended that i just get an RBI and run it through an interface, using monitors as my "cab". What do you guys think of this idea? Currently looking at purchasing the RBI, a focusrite scarlett 2i4, and a pair of M-Audio AV-42's, using reaper as my DAW. I have very little experience with this type of set up, and would love to get some experienced feedback before dropping all this cash.

2. A good solution. Much better than most direct outs of amps or miking an amp without knowing how to do it or the right room.
    I don't know if I would go for the rack solution. Maybe try other offerings like the VT Bass DI from SansAmp.
    Make sure that your interface allows you to bypass the preamp or that it has good mic preamps. If you use the DI out from the Sansamp, your bass signal is at mic-level!

3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    What you describe is similar to my setup: RBI -> MOTU 828mk3 -> Logic Pro X. I use the RBI for bass and guitar preamp before the interface and works quite well. In Logic, I may use any number of guitar/bass VSTs to further shape the tone. I'm running Mackie MR5 mk3 studio monitors and it all sounds pretty good - but more often than not, I'll practice with the headphones on. I never bust out my bass amp for home practice or recording.

4. Schooley_m

Schooley_m

May 22, 2016
    Thanks for the input guys, pulling the trigger on this tomorrow!

DirtDog likes this.
  5. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Racks are for suckers - think about stand alone solutions.

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks for sharing how you feel about a relatively large group of people.

7. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm just saying, there are other options anymore. The new generation of DSP is just outstanding.