Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp RBI's effects loop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 17, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I just came across this idea and it struck me that I may have an idea to save me some money on my rig.

If I have put an effect such as a DBX Subharmonic Synth through the effects loop of an RBI, and the RBI though the effects loop of my head, if I use a footswitch to turn the RBI on and off, will it switch off both the RBI and the Subharmonic Synth, or will the DBX signal still be audible?

~Patrick

2. If you're using the footswitch to turn the effects loop on your head (not the RBI) on and off, you won't hear the DBX.

If you want to be able to hear the DBX while you turn the RBI on and off, you might want to try:

Head-effects send-RBI-DBX-effects return...Don't run the DBX through the RBI's loop and when you turn the RBI on and off via a footswitch, you should still be able to hear the DBX.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Ok, well here is what I'm getting at. I want to be able to use the RBI and DBX as one effect. So when I switch the RBI on, I switch the DBX on. Will the RBI footswitch work that way?

~Patrick

4. It 'should' work that way. (putting the DBX in the SA fx loop and all that in the Amps loop) You might need to experiment with the blend control on the SA.

I say just give it a shot, hook everything up and see what happens. Maybe use a headphone jack or something so you don't overstress your speakers if they don't like what you're doing.

The other way you could do it would be to just go from Amp-fx send-RBI-DBX-fx return, and just use a footswitch to activate the amp's fx loop...turning on both the RBI and DBX at the same time. Then you could also use another footswitch to turn on just the RBI without disengaging the DBX.

Really, there's plenty of different ways to do everything you're trying to do.

5. Hm nice,
    I didn't know that the RBI was footswitchable (on/off)?

So you could use this RBI as a fancy overdrive unit together with another head? Yes?

6. yup, that's how Geddy Lee uses em.