satin finish has gone glossy in less than a month

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Feb 20, 2021.

1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    i might give pics later, but that nice warmoth bass i got (in comfy satin) already has the back of the nitro finish neck going glossy!!! not sure if it’s just because satin is satin, sweaty hands are sweaty hands, or nitro is nitro. either way, do you think steel wool could knock it back a little bit? by the way, i do play the ‘s’ out of it. even if it’s 13 pounds of bass, i usually sit down for an hour a day AT LEAST and play on it.

2. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    You're practicing too much?

OK, sorry, no such thing. That will happen; with poly the satin will stay satin much longer, but eventually, any satin finish will gloss up where it's polished a lot by moving contact with hands or whatever.

Steel wool or fine grit sandpaper will re-satin it (I've de-glossed a lot of poly necks), but if you do that every month, you won't have any finish in a year or two. If that's OK, go for it, but I myself do like some finish to protect the wood.

3. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    Congrats. You just did the extra labor for buffing the manufacturer didn’t charge you for.

Satin finishes are kind of like Ikea furniture.

bon viesta likes this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

0000_1.jpg

yep, when it gets shiny: you call it a "relic!" ;)

TrustRod and bon viesta like this.
  5. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    What are you using to clean it?

6. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    nothing, as of yet.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup, satin finishes are also thinner than gloss finishes.
    So while you can knock it back down, every time you go to sand or steel wool it it takes off a little layer of finish at a time. You wont get many times doing this.

bon viesta likes this.
  8. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I like a satin finish because it gets 'buffed' from being played. If you use the softer white cleaning pads and rub it lightly you can get it back to satin.

9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Scotchbrite.

P. Aaron likes this.
  10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Scotch brite pad. Lightly buff the back of the neck whenever it gets too glossy for you. Wipe the dust away and re-woodshed.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021