Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Save me!!!!!

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by QLDAUSBassplay, Dec 26, 2005.

1. QLDAUSBassplay

QLDAUSBassplay

Dec 21, 2005
    I am the lead bass in the Queensland Youth Orchestra(Australia) and I am the youngest person there(& I am the only female). I am having a problem with getting the bass players to share stands it is ok in rehearsal but when we get to concerts there is a 3 bar pause of the bass when we turn the page, this has become a problem because in the recording you can hear when the basss drops out. I have tried bribing them and everything but nothing helps. I am jsut wondering does anyone have any ideas how to get boys to share stands it is making me crazy ..... :crying:

ciao bass players :D

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Get management to back you on this one. The conductor stopping a piece and asking why the basses dropped out in unison with a stern look might get the boys to fall in line.

3. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hey there from a fellow Aussie. Sounds to me like your sectional partners are morons. Whatever their reason for not wanting to share stands, having such a drop in the playing is unacceptable. Speak to the conductor about it.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    In the past what I have done is have one Player turn at a different Bar so there is only one of 4 or 5 (as in our Orch.) missing at a given time. Also, I often copy some of the pages and tape them so we can play until a longer rest come or re-copy the piece and tape it up with better page turns.

The Principal IS the section leader. If you have a problem, tell the conductor. First, tell the others that if they do not want to play as a section/team, the you will have to discuss it with the Conductor. This does not happen with adults usually but there are kids of all ages in the elder ranks on any given day!

5. we usually stagger page turns

Some times, at least for me, it can be hard for mult. bassists to share a stand... i guess it all depends on style and how each person plays.

Just a little insite

6. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I've always staggered page turns as well. Now, try being principle of a section that doesnt speak english, then try and give them advice. Welcome to my world... :eyebrow: They are cool guys nonetheless.

Good Luck,
    Pete

7. I don't really understand why so many bassists don't want to share stands. In my experience, it's much easier to play as a section when sharing stands, not to mention the added benefit of having page turners.

8. I say copy the part so you can play through the turn.

9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Not if you have a stand hog.

10. bierbass

bierbass

Sep 5, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Regardless of style and how each person plays there should be no reason two players can't share a stand. If it has to do with personal style than they should consider changing there style. Playing in a section is not about every man for himself. It should be a team effort and players should learn to cooperate. Sounds like these boys need to grow up. Having one person per stand is childish and a nightmare when it comes to having a cohesive section. Talk to your conductor. Good luck.

11. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Ok, I am a big guy. 6'4ish? I have always found it difficult to share a stand, and all of my conductors have always recomended the section have one player to a stand, except for Gerard Schwarz, and I don't challenge a thing that man says because he is incredible. Will someone explain to me why it is such a bad idea not sharing stands? The sections that I have played in that have sounded the best always stood one player to a stand.

12. Huh. I'm 6'4" and sharing stands has never been a problem for me.

1. When only half the section needs to turn pages or take quick notes, more of the section can keep playing and not be distracted.

2. Sharing a stand, for me, makes it easier to listen to the people near me, especially my stand partner. I would argue that sections that share stands will tend to play in a less isolated, more cohesive approach. I feel like I'm a part of a section when I have a stand partner, rather than one guy sawing through a piece in the corner of a large orchestra that can't hear me.

3. Just about all the major orchestras' bass sections share stands. What makes you so special? The reason they all do it is because it's more efficient and it can lead to a more focused section. You may as well get used to that fact.

13. bierbass

bierbass

Sep 5, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I might add that when you are talking about height(6'4") you are talking about a vertical issue. Maybe what you (Ferretti) meant to imply was that your arms are long therefore you don't want to hit another player's bass with your bow or vice versa. But then how do all those cellists and violinist do it? :confused: Are they all shorter than 6'0"? It can be worked out. We bass players have been sharing stands since cave man times. I don't see any need to evolve in that regard. :)

14. JayR

JayR

Nov 9, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    What's with all these tall people? I'm 6'4" (why???) as well and the issue comes down to neck strain, at least for me. I always end up sharing stands with people sometimes a foot shorter than me, and if I'm not playing sitting (which sometimes is the case if I'm in a hurry to leave for rehearsal and forget the stool) I end up with some awful neck pain. I did an entire semester standing playing in an 8 person section, and the principal (my stand partner) was maybe 5'8". My tendonitis got so bad that semester, my neck and back killed me. In the chamber orchestra that I play in now, there are only two bassists and we both play sitting, and we'll share a stand or not depending on whether the music we're playing has any funny page turns or not. Also, it's really tough cramming a large section into a small chunk of stage. I really dont like it when I get jabbed in the leg by someone's bow. That happened in rehearsal once, really hard, and I let out a "F*CK!" a little too loud and got an awful look from the conductor.

15. I think that you should work on your body relaxation to feel comfortable in both sitting and standing.I do preffer sitting now.Did you get any help?

16. To be honest I am a stand hog. I hate sharing stands. I only share if one of the lower orchestras takes to many and i have to or some one comes in late and doesn't have a stand. In our youth symphony the only ppl that share stands our the 2 last chair love birds. I find if you copy your music right or memerize frazes so you can turn the page earlier when you get enough rests then you'll be fine.

17. Machina

Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    Sometimes, ex. when traveling, you may have to share a stand. And if you are playing a piece like a demanding bass symphony, even if you memorize the phrase you may be playing something too long to be exact.

Why players make such a big deal about it, I don't know. Left plays, right turns...not hard. If people can't share stands, I just don't see them going far in the music world. There are way more important things to worry about as a section.

18. Totaly agree^^ i will share a stand if i have to but its not realy inportant.

19. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Well if your in a professional or higher level academic orchestra you will share a stand, period.

The problem for me arises with my eye sight. The publisher "Jose Luis Novo" decided to use only about 65% of the available space on the page and the notes are TINY. My standpartner and I both have terrible vision and its hard for us to find a way to both read the part without knicking each other's basses. How do you guys get around the problems that come with situations like these?

20. I agree with Justin K-ski....but, at this point, I say get there first. Let them wait for a stand for once if they can't figure the simple concept of sharing, or say, playing together.