SBO22 Sceptre

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by smart51, Jun 22, 2022 at 3:12 PM.

1. smart51

smart51

Dec 11, 2019
    UK
    My entry for the summer build off 2022 is Sceptre, a headless ultra short scale travel bass. It will be a 4 string of 650mm (25.59") scale, with a 'B string' tuned to E etc.

The laminate set neck will have maple outers and a wenge core with pin stripes of black dyed veneer either side of 2mm oak lipping. The body is a single piece of spalted beech and the fretboard is laburnum. I've read that laburnum is the closest a native British hardwood gets to rosewood. The knobs, tuners and strap buttons are also turned from laburnum. The timber is all left overs from other projects.

woodpile1.jpg

and I know people here like headless tuners, so here's a close up of the parts so far

tunerparts.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022 at 2:31 PM
    dmarino, Beej, Matt Liebenau and 10 others like this.
  2. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    I tune mine with an Ikea hex key - more leverage and readily available.

smart51 likes this.
  3. I like that, but I'd have to have the hex key attached with a chain to stop me losing it.

Gary_M and instrumentalist like this.
  4. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    magnet

Edit - on another I used piano tuning pegs and had a wrench attached with a string.

Max Bogosity likes this.
  5. smart51

smart51

Dec 11, 2019
    UK
    I've tried steel thumb screws before but the finger force needed to turn them is too great. These have brass threads and longer bodies. I don't know which of these two things make them easier to turn, but they work.

6. Flying B

Flying B

Apr 29, 2018
    Cool idea! Is that piece the second one up from the bottom the laburnum? It doesn't look very laburnum like to me... I've often thought it would make a good fret board.

7. smart51

smart51

Dec 11, 2019
    UK
    Yes, that's the one. I bought a log of the stuff last year and split it. There was a bit of rot in the middle but I got some good pieces from it. It is quite light when first cut. That piece has been out in the sun for a couple of days which has darkened it slightly. It darkens a bit more when oiled.

8. Flying B

Flying B

Apr 29, 2018
    I used to turn quite a few bowls from it when I was a tree surgeon, most of the bits I used were much darker than that, with an almost white sapwood.

smart51 likes this.
  9. smart51

smart51

Dec 11, 2019
    UK
    One neck blank

20220623_153944.jpg

TFM94, Beej, ARandGenUsrName and 3 others like this.
  10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Dammit! You're miles ahead of me... :(

smart51 likes this.
  11. smart51

smart51

Dec 11, 2019
    UK
    A couple of progress pics.

20220625_154518.jpg

20220625_154507.jpg

I mustn't have tightened the router properly because the bit slid up into the chuck. The bearing was only just riding on the pickup cavity template. The result was a chewed up template and cavity. It's now a bigger hole than I intended.

Max Bogosity, TFM94 and Matt Liebenau like this.
  12. TFM94

TFM94

Aug 24, 2020
    Finland
    Holy moly, that was fast! I thought I was making good progress this weekend, but you are knocking it out of the park (which you could literally do with this bass ;)

It's hard to see in the pictures, but does it have a curved front and back?

Beej likes this.
  13. smart51

smart51

Dec 11, 2019
    UK
    Yes, the top has a 12" radius the same as the fret board. As I'm using individual tuners it will work. The back has a 3/4" round over on the edges. I put the radius on the top to take styling cues from an EUB, but the effect is a bit too subtle to be really noticeable.

TFM94 likes this.