Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

scales anyone?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pizzafingerbass, Dec 25, 2005.

1. pizzafingerbass

pizzafingerbass

Dec 25, 2005
    hey bout time i made an account been lookin at this site for a while. anyone know any cool pirate scales or pirate sounding scales? you know what im talkin about too..or just any cool, unique scales? :ninja:

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Try this scale, it's basically a normal minor scale with the added
    major seventh.

Code:
    |-O-|---|-O-|---|
    |-O-|-O-|-O-|---|
    |-O-|---|-O-|-O-|
    |-O-|---|-O-|-O-|

You still posted this in the wrong forum, though. :p

3. pizzafingerbass

pizzafingerbass

Dec 25, 2005
    o sorry bout posting in the wrong area, so how can i make stuff sound pirate like that?

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    just yell out "Arrrrgh" when your playing bass :ninja:

:D D

5. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
  6. It seems to me that pirate music mostly used plain old major and minor scales.

7. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Maybe listen to Ron Carter's "Pegleg" album ... oh wait! This is the BG section! nevermind

8. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    Pirate? Hmmm... You mean like this:

I'm popeye the sailor man (choo choo)
    I'm tuff to the finish
    cuz I eat me spinach

If so, I think it's just a major scale

Or what do you have in mind when you say pirate?

9. pizzafingerbass

pizzafingerbass

Dec 25, 2005
    popeye is actually sailor, theres a big difference between pirates and sailors. sailor is a general term for someone traveling by ship, usually referring to navy. a pirate also uses a boat for transportation but only to attack other ships for their belongings or treasure, (sometimes called "booty"). so a pirate could be called a sailor in context, realizing that pirates are the plunderers of the sea . understand? ok, with that out of the way i guess you could classify some pirate stuff to irish sounding? i'm not really sure. i don't know a lot about it.

10. Does anyone know where this pirate-craze came from? They seem to be making quite a comeback with the teenage crowd. Ninjas seem to have made a comeback too...........anybody?

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I get it.....it's an attack for tha booty!!!! :D

12. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    OK, Think I get it. Popeye's a sailor, a pirate ys a "bad and mean" sailor that attacks other ships for "booty". Now, If you could tell me/us of a song with that pirate sound it might be easier to know what kind of music you mean.

Irish "folk" music is normally based on major scales and sometimes it sound like modal to me. I'm not really an expert on irish folk or modal tunes, but that's what it sounds like to me.

13. pizzafingerbass

pizzafingerbass

Dec 25, 2005
    alright well it all started with a song by in flames called "dialogue with the stars" but i have been doing a little research and apparently there are genres called pirate-core and pirate metal, pretty cool stuff (not to be confused with punk). theres a "piratecore" band called ru36 if you want to check em out, it's more comedic then anything but still cool to listen to. and then theres the stereotypical pirate music you hear in movies and tv and such which i was relating to irish sounding. i hope this is enough to get an idea of what i'm talking about..i think i have some more researching to do though...

ps. also check out the bands running wild and verbal deception for more pirate metal, who woulda thought pirates and metal? does it get better?