Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scaling down from an Ampeg "full stack"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Max, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have joined a regularly gigging band and was attempting to scale down my cabinets. I have two Ampeg classics; the 410HE and the 115. Stacked, the sound is huge. But it's drag to haul that stuff around. So I am at GC and am trying the 610HLF and it can't compare to what I have already. I asked an actually knowledgeable clerk for recommendations and he said "dude you already have the perfect rig" We will be playing a lot of smaller bars and clubs. Can anybody who has downsized tell me what you did?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you consider a cab the size of a 6x10 to be "small enough", then you really need to check out the Bergantino NV line of cabs. Very highly recommended.

Another route would be an Accugroove Whappo, Jr. It feels smaller than it looks, and sounds bigger than it looks!

Tom.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    you downsize the 410 to a 210.

i have a 610, its nothing like those two

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    You downsize to a Schroeder.

Check out the Mega-Thread, all those people can't be wrong! :D

5. I'm used to the same cab setup you have driven by an ampeg preamp, and on a recent tour was forced to use a smaller rig due to space constraints in the van. I was upset about it, I thought I was going to hate it, and I started early at soundcheck to try to find a half decent sound.

Eden head and Eden 2x10 cab, set flat and ready to tweak, and it sounded remarkably huge for what it was. I barely even touched the EQ.

It's not the same as the feeling you get from standing in front of a big rig, but as far as tone and volume go I was quite pleased. You might want to check it out.

6. +1