1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scarlett 2i2 and SansAmp PBDDI advice

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ROOKBASS, Sep 27, 2020.

1. ROOKBASS

ROOKBASS

Oct 7, 2008
    Hey all.
    I just upgraded to a new iMac and also purchased a 3rd gen Scarlett 2i2 to replace my old ProFire 610 which doesn't work with Catalina. For home recording I used to run my active basses through a SansAmp PBDDI, via the XLR out into the 610 to give it more punch as the 610 output was kinda weak.

I'm looking for advice on getting the best results out of my new setup.
    So it's: Active bass into SansAmp PBDDI-->XLR OUT into Scarlett 2i2 which is USB connected to the iMac.

Do I select the Line or Instrument option on the 2i2? I've recorded directly into the 2i2 using the Instrument option and it sounds great but if I've got SansAmp I may as well use it, but will it produce better results? I've also read you can run a dry signal from the SansAmp output into the other input on the interface and then blend the 2 recordings in the DAW accordingly which will give you more options.

Any advice you could provide would be awesome as I'm a little rusty.
    Cheers.

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Line level is the highest signal level which travels through a TRS connection. This is the standard type of signal and should be used when connecting any non-instrument pieces of hardware to your interface (i.e. an outboard preamp or processor) or instruments that output line level (synths, keyboards, drum machines etc)

Instrument Level is the most variable level signal which will travel through a TS connection and will also require a preamp to be raised to Line Level. This should be selected whenever connecting an instrument such as a guitar or bass guitar directly to your interface.

What is the difference between Mic, Line, and Instrument level?

3. ROOKBASS

ROOKBASS

Oct 7, 2008
    Thanks cassanova. So if I run a female XLR from the SansAmp to a TRS connection into the 2i2 with the Line level selected I'll get the best result? I'm currently running a female XLR OUT to XLR in and I'm not sure which level option to go with, or if I even have the best cable for the job.

4. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I believe if you use and XLR in to your interface, it's going through the mic pre and not the line amp, so the impedance selector wouldn't do anything.

I could be horribly dangerously wrong here, but using the XLR in on your interface should be fine, assuming the sansamp output is low-impdence.

5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Your sansamp has 1/4" output too, no? Easiest / best would be 1/4" from sansamp to focusrite, using the line setting.

6. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    User manual shows the 1/4 out is unbalanced, and low impedence... tbh the xlr cable seems the best bet.

Screenshot_20200928-145758_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200928-150023_Drive.jpg

cassanova likes this.
  7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The SansAmp is an external preamp, so you'd run it like I do my Ampeg SCR-DI, or Mesa Subway DI. XLR out to XLR in on the 2i2, with the 2i2 being set on "line." Then just adjust the gain structure accordingly. Too include using any hi/lo inputs, pads, or in some cases (like the SCR-DI) chips for active/passive instruments.

8. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I’d go with 1/4” to 1/4”. The 0db setting should result in identical levels between 1/4” and XLR, and you take a whole lot of variables off the table. In this configuration you would use the line setting on the 2i2.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021