Schaller magnetic

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Mudfuzz, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Has anyone had one of these for any length of time. I did play one and I thought it did a ok job of reproducing a store's bass's [ok bass but the action was the highest I've ever seen and the stings were unplayability light] sound, but the sound was very electric. I'm thinking about adding this to my EUB to mix with the piezo.
  2. Red Mitchell used to use one of these or something similar and i've played on bass that had them installed. As remember, Red mixed one with a Fishman. They don't seem to provide much of a tonal point, but do provide a hell of alot of sustain. But I do think this has to be controlled by running another pick-up with it. So, it sounds like it might work for you in your setting.
  3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Had one for a short time several years ago.
    Beware, his is an old design, which isn't humbucking so it can pick up lots of electrical noise, and the fastening hardware is cheap.
    If you really want a magnetic pickup, look at the Biesele or the Pierre Joseph String Charger, which are modern, high quality pickups.

My advice anyway!
  4. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I did notice this, but it was no worse then the average fender J bass.
    This was my main concern, and I was thinking if I did get it I'd make up my own fastening hardware.
    I have thought about both of these pickups, but the one I actually wanted was the Moses/Lace but it is no longer being made. Also I can't get any of these pickups in trade for a few old guitar pedals that I haven't used in two years

Thanks guys, this gives me much to think on; which is always good.
  5. I think you can get the Moses pickup through Bob Gollihur's website
  6. Oops- just looked at Bob G's; Moses PU's are no longer there...
  7. jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
    A comparatively natural sounding, but magnetic PU is made and offered by Michael Zadow. The PU comes with a small, passive mixer to blend the magnetic with an existant piezo PU.
    Check out
  8. I am running a schaller magnetic pickup into a micro-mixer along with the signal from the incredibly crappy piezos that came with my budget (but surprisingly good) DB.
    For $200, I get to fatten up my tone and reduce that awful piezo string clunk, a cheap way to attain decent DB amplification.

Schaller $190 AU, micro-mixer(2nd hand) $15 AU, piezos FREE.
  9. I investigated the Schaller, but I don't think it's a great option - it's basically a 50's design that old Framus basses used. If you were going to mess with mounting hardware, you'd be better off starting with a good P-Bass pickup - I've heard some rockabilly players get good loud sounds out of them.
    I have a Moses I'm not using - PM me with an offer if you're interested. I bought it to add to the piezo on the EUB I was designing, but ended up getting such a good sound from the piezo I made that I never bothered installing a mag pickup.
    Without wanting to talk myself out of a sale, I think you're better off trying to find one good piezo rather than getting into the complication of mixed systems.
    A friend has a Realist and some other pickup going through a dual outboard preamp; he takes half an hour to connect it all and find a sound. I just plug into my amp and play.
  10. eadg52

Oct 17, 2006
    Liverpool, UK.
    I bought one a short while back from Bob G. On it's own I get more useable volume than either the Rev Solo or K&K Bassmax piezos I also have fitted, but the tone is not natural upright. Not having a blender as yet I can't comment on how a mix would work but I imagine it would help to beef up a piezo if the tone on your EUB is thin. The method works well on my newly aquired NS bass, I'm sure it would work for you too.

11. robboy

Jul 13, 2006
    Boca raton Florida
    I used a Shaller and a Fishman(the old one) mixed with a Fishman Bass blender for years on my 67 kay. Most of my playing was with a loud Jump Blues band and a Rockabilly band. The Schaller can get real loud but it has very little bottom. Also it's mounting on the fingerboard, on my bass at least, had a big effect on the tone. Still, I was able to get a decent sound on most amps. I still have the Schaller in my bag. I use a homemade Velcro mount so if i need it I can stick it on. I use the Fishman Full Circle and really haven't needed the Schaller anymore. Probably going to sell it when I sell my Kay.
  12. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Wow old thread revival :D

Thanks, but I've pretty much settled on the K&K bass max, I'm really happy with it, so I too ended up never bothered with getting a mag pickup. It sounds great un both my EUB and DB and it only takes me about 30 seconds to switch back and forth. :)
  13. Bungee

Sep 23, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    I wouldn't want to put this on my acoustic bass, but it sounds GREAT on my EUB. It is a very simple design, and a very effective design. The ability to adjust the pole pieces for string-to-string balance is key. It can hum some depending on the situation, but the hum issue is far from outrageous - the pickup is best used in situations where that doesn't really matter anyway. I have mine mounted on an EUB in a customized setup with the option to run the passive pickup signal directly to an amp, OR through the Fishman Platinum Pro-EQ outboard pre-amp/DI that I have attached to the EUB. It works great either way.

It sounds best to me on its own, not even blended it with a piezo. It's really nice not having to deal with that piezo thump. (I have a Fishman Full Circle on my doghouse that I love, but I've struggled with other piezos on my EUB). I use orchestral strings to limit the sustain, but it's really only an issue at higher volume levels where if I used my acoustic bass, sustain would be excessive AND feedback would be a problem. I do set the string height up for a more blunt note shape, and it works really well.

This is a great design, and I'm very happy with it. I'm sure something like a Biesele would be awesome, but the Schaller is a nice product too, when you embrace it for what it is - a reliable, feedback-proof device to give you useable and easily EQ'd bass tone in ANY setting. It is not advertised as "your bass, only louder," but it could be advertised as "your strings, only louder, and with no feedback or piezo thump."

It's a good magnetic pickup.
  14. Had high hopes when I bought one in 2006 well before I joined this forum, installed it breaking a screw in the process :mad: it was on my bass for a full 3/4 of an hour before I switched to my Underwood! The next day I sold it on eBay. I had to look at the ugly hole for years. I love the piezzo sound. On the other hand one of my friend using it happily when volume required at a techno band but he switches to Realist when he plays with a jazz band. I personally didn't mind the look and I was looking for a permanent solution too but the tone did not satisfy me and the holes infuriated me.