1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schaller Oyster Pickup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Mikey3, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Mikey3

Mikey3

Aug 8, 2007
    Michigan
    I have a schaller oyster pickup that I bought to be used on my acoustic guitar, but was curious if this could also be used on the double bass. I don't see why it wouldn't be ok to use, as it seems as through schertler uses something similar as their double bass pickup. Its basically just a single transducer that mounts to the outside of the instrument. I put it on the top of my bass in the middle, just behind the bridge, and played it through my eden metro for a few mins. I know this is probably not the best combination, but for jamming with friends etc... seems like it might be ok for the time being. Any one have any experience with these types of pickups, single transducer? Any input would be appreciated.

2. There is some risk that eventually the organisims living within the oyster will eat away at the top of your bass like termites resulting in one or more holes and ultimately disintegration. However, in the meantime, and if you are willing to live with the risk,and it sounds good and doesn't feed back and otherwise works for your purposes, you can save yourself a lot of money and angst by avoiding the quest for perfection plaguing so many contributors to this forum.

3. I know I have resurrected this from a forever ago - isn't that what we are supposed to do? Has anyone had any experience with these?

Screen shot 2015-06-21 at 6.14.06 PM.

Thinking how cool it might be in the bridge area of a hollow or semi-hollow. Very cool that it is passive - but I would love to hear a clip.

Anyone?

4. s2bs2

s2bs2

Apr 1, 2009
    Sonoma, CA.
    it says 'acoustic instrument'. you're golden