1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schaller TK 0881-001 gear orientation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DRCMesa, Mar 6, 2013.

1. DRCMesa

DRCMesa

Feb 5, 2013
    I bought the Schaller TK 0881-001 tuners to finish a rehab project and they do not fit due to the widest end sticking out over the edge of the head at the very end. At the rounded end I have an 1/8" chunk of metal hanging over. This is a Fender Squire P-Bass. I was going to try and angle them but they fit to close together to turn them.

So my next idea was to take them apart and flip the deck so the gear faces out and not towards the neck. Is this a good idea? I can tell the gears are cut at an angle. From what I have seen almost all tuning keys face with the gear towards the neck and the turning key on the other side.

I could grind down the corner of the key but they cost more than the bass did. The idea was to rehab this one until I could afford something much nicer. My current tuning keys are so shot they flop when there are no strings attached.

Or do I just cry and put the old ones back on?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    just send them back for ones that fit.