Schecter CV-4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jul 26, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Has anyone played this bass? I've been looking around for it, but haven't found any online sites to play one. It looks like another Lakland copy, even similar to the Ibanez Roadgear. I've always thought that Schecter was for nu-metal style bands. Anyone think it can do the traditional stuff well?

2. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    I am trying to get that bass too but the only online music store i found that stocks the CV-4 is:

You need to contact if you want to order one as it is not listed, they sell them for $559.99.
  3. Jay78

Aug 30, 2005
    I have owned a Scecter CV-4 for 1 1/2 years and I love it! It has terriffic growl if you need it, but the Jazz neck pickup can be really smooth and deep. Just this week, I played it while jamming with an Oscar Peterson CD (Ray Brown on bass) and with the neck pickup only I got a wonderful, almost upright like tone. The neck is a thin jazz style neck and is the easiest playing bass I own. I don't slap, but you can easily get a great slap tone with the extra switch. I have the earlier version - mahogany without any pickguard. The current versions have a Musicman style pickguard, but I think the electronics are the same. The MM bridge pickup is just OK and could probably use a replacement. As a comparison, I can get a wider variety of useful tones from the CV-4 than I can from my Marcus Miller Jazz. Try for a used one for about $300.

4. kevinod

Jun 29, 2002
    Cork, Ireland
    I have a Schecter bass, bought it on a trip to LA a couple of years ago, and its probably my best purchase yet.... Its not the CV4 (one of the Elite diamond series) but the tone out if is the best of any bass anywhere near the price range imho.

Its smooth, really easy and good to play, and gives terrific full tone. The one I have is all one piece (neck and body is the one block of wood) and has fantastic sustain on it.

With regards to traditional stuff, we play punk/rock, and I think it handles that spot on, but its that type of tone that you could play most styles of music with I reckon.
  5. r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I had one. It was not distintive, kind of an uninspiring bass. Got rid of it for a Fender Jazz Deluxe (mim) and was much happier.
  6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

7. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I haven't played that particular bass, but I don't think you should let the NU-metal artists on their web page put you off. I own 2 Schecter basses and I use them for classic rock, blues, country etc....
    Also, I used to own a Lakland 55-01 (very briefly) and prefer my Schecters. The Laklands are great basses just alot different from the Schecters. Lakland has a wider neck and wider string spacing 19mm vs 16mm. The lakland has Bartolini pickups which to my ears are very mid scooped. The Schecters either have EMG's or Duncan Designed. Both have good mid range. The Lakland has small flat frets and the Schecters have jumbo frets. Like I said, I'm not saying one is better than the other. Just that they are alot different from each other. SO one will be a better fir for you than the other. It's up to you to decide.
    BTW, my experiences are with 5 string basses only.
  8. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    The CV-4 def got my attention. I've never been that much of a fan of Schecter. Every time I have played one in stores they just felt cheap.

I'd like to find/play one of these in the hopes that they've gotten better will the overall feel. Schecter's always felt like the lower end Ibanez series basses.

I'm reading that the CV-4 has Hipshot hardware (at least the bridge) and it's got Duncan electronics....both are cool by me.