Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schertler Dyn-b... can't work with this thing....

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by b-flat, Nov 11, 2003.

1. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    HEY!

I borrowed a Schertler Dyn-b from a friend just to try, but this is my first time trying to amplify my bass.

I don't have a bass amplifier so i'm using it direct to mixing desk. I've already tried different ways to put the transducer, but even in the best way the sound comes with lots of middles.

I've placed 3 cm below the brigde on side of the G string...

As anyone tried this thing? How can a have a better sound?
    As far as I heard this transducer is told to be one of the best, but i can't seem to doing things the right way...:bawl:

cheers!

mad

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    There is a frequency at around 180 hz that makes the Dyn B have some honky sound in mid-range. I never use the Dyn B without their preamp, which has a notch filter to eliminate it. If you have a notch filter you may be able to help it.

However, it still should sound decent. The best way to get a good sound is to have someone hold the checker like piece and move it around like a stethescope until you find the best spot. When you find it, then apply the putty and put it on.

Every bass seems to have a different sweet spot. It took me an hour to find it on my old Juzek, and slightly less on my new Solano.

I've also heard that the Dyn B doesn't work very well on plywood basses because the tops are too stiff and don't move as much. Never tried it myself though.

Monte

3. poalf

poalf

Feb 27, 2003
    Phoenix, Az
    Location, location, location...

I have mine more on the bass side... it's about 4 or 5cm (a couple of inches, plus or minus) below but a bit toward center of the bass side foot.

Never tried it on my Kay, but am very pleased with the sound on the Wilfer.

4. Mine is located on top of the soundpost.

Vincent

5. atunbridge

atunbridge

Apr 23, 2002
    Devon UK
    I tried the Dyn-B on my plywood bass. I spent over an hour trying different positions. I couldn't get rid of a really nasty mid range honk even using a 5 band graphic eq, so I sent it back!

6. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Well, a graphic ep wouldn't do crap for getting rid of the frequency honk @ 180 hz. You needed a parametric.

I've argued with them that they should work out a way to sell the Dyn-B ONLY with the preamp, because it just sounds so much better with it. I also think that the stiffness of plywood tops probably doesn't lend itself to the Dyn B well.

7. atunbridge

atunbridge

Apr 23, 2002
    Devon UK
    Monte

Your point about the parametric eq is well made.

I was just incredibly disappointed with the Dyn-B. After what I have read about it, and after paying absolute top dollar for it, I really expected something much better -in fact for my bass it was the worst sounding pickup I have tried (and that includes Underwood, Bass Max, Double Big Twin and Clevinger Natural Presence).

Maybe it is the plywood bass factor.

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Whew!! Worse sound than the Underwood and Bass Max?

I gotta say that although I usually just use a mic, the Dyn B is WAY out of the league of those ones. Not that they are bad, but no one is going to mistake them for a mic either.

I gotta wonder how you were running it. The only way I can make the Dyn B worse than those is by running it into a less than neutral amp. Through all manner of PA systems and the AI Contra, it sounded really good. Even better with the Pub speaker. However, I played it through a Hartke Kickback and an SWR WM10 and it sounded like ass.

9. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Plywood basses?

What is that?

I'm Portugiese so, it's difficult to know the technical terms :rolleyes:

byeee

mad

10. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    When I'm not using my AMT mic, I use a Dyn-B and always run it through the Pre-A II preamp although it still sounds good enough without the preamp that it's better than most other setups I've heard. I've never tried it with a plywood but I would tend to believe what Monte said that it may not be suited to a laminated top. Location of the transducer is definitely an issue but I've never had a hard time finding a good location.

11. atunbridge

atunbridge

Apr 23, 2002
    Devon UK
    I ran the Dyn_B into an AI Contra, I tried it straight in and I tried it through a Fishman Platinum Pro eq.

12. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Also known as Laminated basses. Means that the top is not carved out of solid wood, but is formed out of some form of layered wood that has been pressed.