Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schertler Pub 280: old vs. new

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by spaghettiwestern, Jan 30, 2006.

1. I'm sure this was answered ages ago, but I just can't find the thread. I own both an "old" Schertler Pub 280 (carpet covering, green LED) and a "new" one (grey paint covering, blue LED).

I recently played a very loud gig in which I used both Pubs at once, daisy chained from my Pre II A and my Dyn B. I put one behind me and the drummer, and one a little more toward the front, up higher to act as a monitor / extension cab for the rest of the band. The setup worked well, but one thing nagged at me the whole time: I swear the two sounded different.

I can't say which was better (the overall sound was pretty good), though I think the new pub might have been a little more natural sounding. Another thing I noticed was that the older carpeted one was blazing hot (as usual) after the gig, while the new one was relatively cool. I had set the volume of each speaker to be what I thought was about the same (a little less than full volume, just in case).

I still haven't had the chance to A/B them, but I thought I'd ask the open-ended question just the same:

Is there any difference between the old & the new Pub 280's?

Thanks.

2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Good question. Monte may know. Also try Schertler directly.