1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schertler Pub 280: old vs. new

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by spaghettiwestern, Jan 30, 2006.

1. I'm sure this was answered ages ago, but I just can't find the thread. I own both an "old" Schertler Pub 280 (carpet covering, green LED) and a "new" one (grey paint covering, blue LED).

I recently played a very loud gig in which I used both Pubs at once, daisy chained from my Pre II A and my Dyn B. I put one behind me and the drummer, and one a little more toward the front, up higher to act as a monitor / extension cab for the rest of the band. The setup worked well, but one thing nagged at me the whole time: I swear the two sounded different.

I can't say which was better (the overall sound was pretty good), though I think the new pub might have been a little more natural sounding. Another thing I noticed was that the older carpeted one was blazing hot (as usual) after the gig, while the new one was relatively cool. I had set the volume of each speaker to be what I thought was about the same (a little less than full volume, just in case).

I still haven't had the chance to A/B them, but I thought I'd ask the open-ended question just the same:

Is there any difference between the old & the new Pub 280's?

Thanks.

2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Good question. Monte may know. Also try Schertler directly.