SChool project on Jaco

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Wantsafoderabas, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Wantsafoderabas

Feb 11, 2004
    When Was he Born?

When did he start playing>?

What have been his major influences? ( I know i just wanan make sure)

And any onther ifno about jaco. Please POST! :help: :)
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    There is an excellent biography of Jaco written by Bill Milkowski. That would tell you all you need to know about Jaco, for any kind of report. I used that book as my primary resource when I did a paper on Jaco for a Jazz History course I took a few semesters ago.

Also, a quick Google search will provide you with several websites that off the info you're looking for.

Good luck. :)
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yes, Read the book 'Jaco: the world's greatest bass player" by bill milkowski.

Goto Ingrid's(his second wife) cyber jaco nest

goto (run in part by his children, tracy has been known to stop by too)

and if you can, get the album 'portrait of jaco:the early years" it's more of a documentary than an album, but it includes lots of really early cuts of songs, with friends and family(and jaco himself) describing where he was at that time, what he liked to do, who he was into. And it's very modern(only just came out a few months ago) wheras the milkwoski book has been out for a few years, and ingrid's cyber nest(while still a fantastic resource) hasn't been updated in a while.

You may want to also check out 'Punk jazz:the jaco pastorius anthology' It's a great compilation that has many unreleased tracks, highlighting all the work jaco did with other people.

and of course, search the 'bassists' forum here
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It really sounds like you're asking us to write the paper for you. If you're doing a paper on Jaco, you should already know the answers to the questions you're asking.

My suggestion would be to create an outline, research the basics of his life, (like the questions you're asking here), then come back and ask for some anecdotal information that some of the members here might be able to share. That will add color to your paper, but again, you should already have the foundation on your own.

I'm moving this to BASSISTS where you might get more information.