Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schroeder Amp combination

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ohmslaw, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Ohmslaw

Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    I've been really impressed with what I've ben reading about Schroeder cabs. What I'd like an opinion on is would his cabs make my Peavey Firebass sound better. Sured I'd like to go out and get a seperate amp and pre but the budget right now calls for either a new cab or a new amp. Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. I only have experience with the 1210, but assume that all of Jorg's cabs have a strong common sound among them. I've found with my Schroeder that it has a very, very strong, inherent character and sound (a very 'unflat' cab). If you like that sound (which I do!), it's great. This has the impact of making my three amp heads sound more similar through the Schroeder than through other cabs. So.... if you have a good but maybe not 'state of the art' head like the Firebass, I would think the Schroeder cabs would greatly 'improve' (or at least change) the sound... i.e., make your Firebass/Schroeder combination sound very similar to most amp/Schroeder combinations.

As always, I'm sure you will get some other opinions... the great thing about Jorg is that he has a trial period, so if it really isn't your thing, you are only out the shipping. Good luck!

3. Welcome to TB, by the way. I'm sure you will get other TBers' comments and opinions.... when they get their 'you-know-what's' out of bed on Sunday morning!

4. Ohmslaw

Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    Thanx,

I'm actually an old TB'er from about 4 years ago.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm with KJung. I've not used your head, but I've found the Schroeders (I have 410 and 1210) to have made my heads sound better to me...As he noted, they do (have their own voice" and are not "hifi/transparent" but I like what they do very much, especially in a live setting where they have "blow thru the mix mojo" in spades.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Morning? On that side maybe, but here it's 16:45 :p

It will most probably make it sound different. Whether it's better, depends on your taste.
    IMO/IME, the 1210 adds a bit more to the low mids. However, my highs are a bit lost sometimes - unless I turn up the horn attenuator and the volume. It makes the bass come through better, but not in form of boomyness, rather with some low-mid growl and emphasis.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Schroeders in Budapest? Seriously?

KEWL!

8. I wince to make this comment again (at the risk of being redundant and repetitive), since I've posted it quite a few times already on various Schroeder threads:eek: , but if you feel the Schroeder does not have the high end you think you need... the selenium tweeter option that Jorg provides (I believe still as a no cost option) totally fixes that 'problem'. I am a total 'new round wound' sound guy, and that tweeter at about 9o'clock just screams the high end.

Sorry about the US-centric Sunday morning comment... have a good evening :D

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Since last year :p (though shipping was a hard nut...)

Nemo has one in Prague

And some more TBers have elsewhere in Europe...

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I think any of the Schroeder cabs would sound good with a PV Firebass -- it's a strong amp for its rating and IMO the voicing of the two should fit very well together (esp. in the mix).

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Well, I do enjoy groundwounds a bit now... but for over 2 decades I'm a "New Stainless Rounds" kinda guy. I've always HATED horns/tweeters. I've ALWAYS bought cabs without tweeters as I much prefer the tone of the Highs through a paper cone (12" driver prefered). Jorg's "standard" tweeters are the first I have accepted as usable. I've been setting the tweeters on my 1212 & 1210 @ about 1/3rd... just the right brightness for me in the mix. I will be sticking the mic on my tweeterless Mini 12 when I record next though. ;)

Ohmslaw: it's apples and oranges... but I run a Peavey head myself. Mine is the all tube 400 watter from a couple years ago.

12. I can totally understand that preference. It's just that I see quite a few comments from Schroeder users, like the one I was responding to on this thread, mentioning, in one form or the other, that they find their Schroeder's a little shy on the treble side. Just pointing out that if you are among, I'm guessing, the 10% of Schroeder users or considerers who have this issue, there's a really easy fix that will put the treble resonse up to the level that those users might want. :)

Plus... I guess your comment about Jorg's tweeter sounding similar to your non-tweeter preference kind of makes my point... if you do prefer an aggressive tweeter sound, the standard tweeter is probably not going to do it for you :D