1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schroeder cab buzzing..but only certain notes..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rob_d, Mar 21, 2009.

1. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    I have a Schroeder 21012 which has recently started producing a buzzing sound. The thing is it only does it between C and E flat(lowest c..3rd fret A string up to 6th fret, 8th fret E string etc..). I checked this thread and tried some of the simpler things mentioned there but no luck. My instincts first told me it was blown but there seems to be no physical damage to the cone. I also was unable to find anything loose inside. That said, I'm kind of a dummy when it comes to this stuff so I don't always know what I'm looking for. I'm using a Modulus Q6 and have tried setting my EQ on both my bass and amp head flat to no avail. Any ideas?

2. You should just send it to me, so you don't have to listen to the horrible noises......:ninja:

3. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    handle, grill or speaker frame rattle?

4. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Strangely enough I may have just fixed it by accident. I was attempting to do the game of Twister thing where I play a note and try to hold certain things down and I noticed a wire loose in the back. It was on the lower speaker where there are 4 wires..two white and two black. As I was trying to feel around inside the cab I noticed one of the wires was loose. I'm not sure if I did that while I was poking around or if that was the problem all along, but I reattached it where it was supposed to go and the buzzing has stopped. This seems like a strange fix for the buzzing/farting problem though. So I'm not sure what really happened here.

I'm a little nervous to bring it on my gig tonight. I don't really have a big enough vehicle to bring it and my backup cab. On the other hand this thing is so much better than my backup.

Would a loose wire possibly cause the infamous buzz/fart at a certain frequency? Doesn't make sense to me. I would think that would cause more of a static or fuzz type sound that would be persistent. Once again though, I'm pretty clueless to the inner workings of these things.

5. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    rob d, I wouldn't call that an accident! Good job!

If one of the woofers wasn't connected, and therefore was unpowered, that could indeed cause buzzing and serious flatulence. The woofers that were still active would not have the proper restoring force behind their cones, as the un-driven woofer would act like leaky window to the world outside the box (it would still be moving from the air pressure, so you wouldn't have realized it was unpowered). Without the proper air compliance behind their cones, the still-active woofers could easily have been pushed into over-excursion.

6. For a more permanent fix you might want to squeeze the lugs just a little with pliers, then put them back on, so they hold better. Common issue.

7. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Update: After messing with it a bit I now notice that I get farting on the A and A-flat but not from the C to E-flat. Everything seems connected. Weird. I don't have time to mess with it anymore today..I'll have to go with the back up for tonight.

8. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I started hearing a buzz in one of my GB Neox 212T cabs. I pulled the metal grill, played thru cab, placed my finger on the cone of top driver after I hit a note and seemed to stop the buzz, some. But it did not have the typical tone in the cab or the scratchy/rubbing noise when I pulled the driver and used my fingers to move the cone slightly as a burnt coil might do.

GB was great to send me out a new driver to install. Jeff said I should tie-down any hanging/loose wires, which I did to some degree. I wanted to leave a little slack so it was no too tight. So I drop the new driver in, play a few notes and it sounds good, still the top driver sounds real tight, like it needs some break in. I play at low volumes for about 2 hours for 2 days. I planned to use it at a house party that coming Friday. I try the cab once more on the Thursday before the party and the cab sounds horrible. Cant make it out but its distorting and just sounds real bad. I've tried diff, amps/cables/basses etc and its still bad. I did mark the wires with masking tape once I removed the old driver, so it should be hooked up correctly.

Now, replacing the metal grill was a real PITA cause I had to bow it to make it fit back in place, the screws shot back out as I tried to screw them in due to the tension, lost 3 screws, just can't find em. I think one or two might be in the cab, maybe that's the noise now. But I got real frustrated and just put the cab back in my spare room. I really did not want to remove the driver again. I have 2 of these so just used the other one at the party. Had to leave town for several days due to sick parent. And just have not messed with the cab in a couple weeks.

GB was great enough to offer a RMA of old driver back to them so they might check it out. Going on 3 weeks and I've just not had time to mess with it. GB called this week asking me of status. I called back, talked to Chris and he was very understanding. I told him I wanted to take it to my local speaker repair shop to have them check it out, as I'm lost at this point. It may not have been a bad driver in the first place and I may just send back the new driver to them or buy it outright as a spare. He said just to let em know what I find out.

I dreaded opening the cab back up and possibly having to remove the bottom driver to look for screws, loose wires, etc as there is a very good seal of the factory gasket I dont want to compromise. I've tried turning the cab on its' side, upside down to see if screws or wires are loose in there. I just dont hear anything. Sorry for long rant, I feel this is OT and nothing against GB, they've been great. I just hate messing with my equipment cause it always seems to turn into a big ordeal. No experience with this stuff and real short on patience. I'm hoping the local shop will find the problem. Roger (TB's hasbeen) even suggested sending the cab back to GB. It may come to that and I imagine they'll prolly find its a simple fix. Just want to try sort it out without sending cab off. Let's see what the local dude can do, then I'll take it from there.

Man loose wires/buzzing issues are a b*tch to nail down. But again thanks to Roger and folks at GB for coming to help so quickly as they have for me in the past, no fault of theirs on this issue. Hope the buzz gets resolved in both our cabs and to OP, pls be sure to post back once you solve your issues, so more will know what to look for. There were some very good replies already on what to look for and try, I've kinda given up. :rollno: