Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schroeder Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by BassTerd, Nov 8, 2005.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Is anybody out there using any of the Schroeder cabs with their upright? If so how does it sound?

2. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Sometimes I use a Schroeder 12-10 with an 8-piece band I work with. They do some Motown stuff that gets pretty loud. I have to roll off some bass on the preamp.
    This cab is efficient and compact and can put out lots of sound.This would be a good cab for doubling, I think.
    Mostly, I use it with large groups. For quartet and smaller, I use a cabinet with 2 -8's, which is more transparent sounding.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I use a 1210 a lot, and like it.
    I'm using a nice old King DB, bassmax pup, and TFB420 amp. playing blues, jazz, R&B....

4. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I use a 1212 for doubling or for outdoor or other gigs where I need a lot of volume. I drive it with an AI Focus II although I also still own a Walter Woods Ultra that I use occasionally. I find the 1212 to be the perfect doubling cabinet because of its volume potential. I also find that it sounds good at lower volume levels as well for more acoustic sounding jazz, e.g., I used it successfully with a piano trio playing jazz standards at an outdoor garden party for about 100 people last Summer.

It is a very efficient cabinet that can get incredibly loud and I have been unable to get it to distort or "fart out." Many people that own a 1210 or 1212 talk about using the cabinet to replace a 4-10 because of this. Perhaps because it is only a 2-way speaker, it is not as HiFi as the Acme cabinets or AI's cabinet, but for big band gigs and other gigs where there are loud horns or percussion, it is wonderful in terms of getting a sound that will really cut through.

I also have recently purchased one of the Schroeder Mini 12+ cabinets that weighs about the same as my Acme B-1, and is significantly more efficient while sounding less HiFi. I'm thinking that this speaker alone may be loud enough for my doubling gigs (my bass guitar needs are mostly a "3-horn" band playing pop, rock, disco, dance music for weddings and other private parties) and that I may able to replace the 1212 with this smaller and lighter cabinet. Unfortunately I've not had enough work on bass guitar lately and haven't had a gig come along to allow me to test it out yet. Once I get more time under my belt with it, I plan on posting a more detailed review.

I'm not saying that the Schroeder cabinets will please everyone because they do have a somewhat colored and fairly distinctive sound. But, they are very high in quality, are reasonably priced compared to the other high end cabinets, are built for working musicians, and are backed up perfectly by the owner and designer, Jorg Schroeder.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles

5. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I also use a 1212 for doubling, and love it. It really keeps the upright tone warm and natural, verses the tinty hi/mid crackle I was getting from my Ampeg cabinet.

Now I just need a good pre-amp for my upright.