1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schroeder copy DIY cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by modulus763, Mar 12, 2008.

1. modulus763

modulus763

Nov 28, 2007
    Maryland
    I have on my flame retardant suit for this one.

Here is my Schroeder copy (kinda) [/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You can copy any design you want for your own use.
    But, I see no advantage to this design. The cab seems too small for the drivers. The side firing speaker isn't really large enough to be a horn. and it's not a port. Just seems a waste of space. Did you use a speaker design program or just measure an existing cabinet? Do you have any actual measurements?

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sounds familiar...

people said the same thing when Jorg came around.
    people said the same thing when Tech Soundsystems originated the design.

Stop looking and listen to one. The design improves sound dissipation and boosts the lower mids. They aren't without limits, but a lot of noise from a little package!

modulus763: looks great! How's it sound?

4. modulus763

modulus763

Nov 28, 2007
    Maryland
    The outer dimensions are the same as Jorg's 1210 cab. I loved the idea of having all that speaker surface in such a small package.

The cabinet is constructed of 3/4" birch and the port is actually in back of the 10" driver. I don't know how Schroeder cabs are ported but I took a wild guess and used common sense when constructing.

I used an SWR Triad crossover so, the 12" is running full range.

The speakers are 12" Kappa Pro A and a 10" PAS. The horn comes from a Triad as well. I plan on changing that out due to the fact that the SWR horn was just a test. It's "glassy" on the high end. Actually the whole cab was a test to see how it would sound. And IMHO it sounds great.

All joints are dado to eliminate the need for internal bracing and the 10" is front mounted, unlike Schroeder which I believe rear mounts the 10".

All in all a very punchy cabinet with more than adequate volume. Can't wait to build the second one!!

I've used it a few times now for practice and in clubs and it blows away my old Triad as I figured any well built cabinet not built from particle board would.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    when I ran them... it was a 1210 and a 1212 together. It was a great little rig!

6. modulus763

modulus763

Nov 28, 2007
    Maryland
    I think I'll stick with another 12x10 due to the weight issue.

This cab allows more mid boost using my Kern BP777 than any other cab I tried. I finally got the low end of the Kern under control with this little cab. IMO

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Moved to the BG forums.

8. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    That 12 inch kappa proA resembles my EV evm12.

9. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Anyway, thats pretty cool to go outside the box like that and give it a try.

Someone else posted two 1x10 homebrew cabs, one was standard front firing bass reflex and the other was a schroeder-esque 1x10 that fired into that slot like yours. I think he used BP102's? I suppose it acts to filter out the HF and upper mids, while the extra tiny box size compared to optimum gives the midbass hump.

You like the tone, right? Good for you man. I Love DIY!

10. that's hot, i like and i want you to build me one, looks top notch, good work!

11. modulus763

modulus763

Nov 28, 2007
    Maryland
    Sorry Kaiser but I am not a cabinet builder per say; just a guy who took wood shop and likes to tinker. Besides, it would be cheaper for you to go out and buy a Schroeder. If I didn't have some of the parts on hand this would have easily cost $400 not counting my time. I don't feel bad copying some of the design characteristics of Schroeder for my own use but selling it would be taboo IMO.

The 12" speaker in the pic is an EVM 12L which again was used to test the cab before I sunk any $$$ into it. The EV was very bright and tinny to my ear as its usable frequency range started around 80 khz. It had a nice growl to it but lacked the thump I was looking for. The Eminence Kappa Pro gave the cabinet a much warmer sound and added good bottom.

I may decide to use the EV in the second cab and run my effects into it and keep this cab clean. That should produce a PHAT tone.

12. Do you have an attenuator on the horn? SWR horns are pretty bright- I run mine at about 4/10.

13. Good Job !

When are you going to post some sound bites :)

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I really respect both your project, and the attitude reflected in the quote below.
    Good-on-ya.

15. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    nice work man, i cant wait till i get my BFM cabs built.

16. modulus763

modulus763

Nov 28, 2007
    Maryland

Yeah I do. I am running it at -10/12 db (very low). I play Modulus basses and they tend to be very bright on their own.

Got any ideas/thoughts on a more mid range horn?

17. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Modulus763, Great build job on the cab!
    JamesHart, What year did Tech Sound have their cabs available? There's a music shop in Champaign, Il. that was building cabs that resembled Jorg's designs back in the 70's.

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I guess I don't need to. I look more for accuracy. It'd still be nice to see some measurements. To see if it measures what people say it does.

I Agree that it is a good looking DIY build. Better than most I've seen.

19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'd be curious to know the tonal differences b/n yours and a Schro 1210.

How much does yours weigh?

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    90s... it's not a new technology. Jorg just marketed it at the right time to the right crowd. His level of customer service has just been the icing on the cake.

Seamonkey: if I still had mine I'd gladly submit it for testing... they ended up not being 'for me' and went to others here on TB. I'm pretty sure the design HAS been put through the ringer by many, it's ashame you missed those.
    Anyway, I judge gear by real world trials, anything can be made to look good or bad on paper... that is the only 'accuracy' I need to know.