1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scope creep: lower, louder

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by crockpot2001, Apr 17, 2010.

1. I bought a GB 3.0 8T for the ultimate in lightweight abss for super small clubs and self monitoring. It's fantastic for my Ergo EUB.

Fast forward 2 months. We now have upcoming gigs at an art exhibit, outside patios of hotels, and a few private parties. I think my little bitty 8" speaker is gonna let me down. Not that we are rocking out but for full sound, I'm suspect.

I'm looking for an extension cabinet. It still needs to be reasonably small / sort of light so a 15" cabinet is out. I'm leaning towards a good quality single 12" assuming 2 12" will just be too much for the GB amp to push.

Am I still gonna be lost amongst the guitar and violin and drums?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    AFAIK I think the GB 3.0 head is rated down to 4 Ohms (check your manual of course), so it could push a 2x12 if desired. But my similarly rated head (EA Micro 300) feeding a 1x12 is ample for the sort of gigs that you are talking about.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    When talking about an amp's being able to "push" a speaker, it's not the size, it's the efficiency (and of course the impedance). I expect that most 12s are more efficient than your 8, in which case you'd get more volume with the 12.

4. Thanks for the responses. I should add that i am looking to add the extension speaker to be run with the 8" speaker I already have. Maybe this changes things?

5. Fantastic unit, have one too!
    My extension cabinet is a GB LS112T. (discontinued I think)
    The Shuttle 3.0 can go down to 4 ohms only.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    What's the impedance of the 8-inch speaker?

7. why not just get the genz benz 8 matching cabinet? i have the 10t with the matching 10 and it can get stupidly loud, plus it really fills in the low end for slab, so i imagine the extension 8 would have a similar effect. and, obviously, it would be a perfect match efficiency-wise.

jeff.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The combo speaker is 8 ohms, so any 8 ohm extension speaker would work.

I would suggest that you look at the STL-10 or 12, that's a nice, well matched companion to the 8" cabinet, and you would only need to use it on gigs where the 8 wouldn't be enough.

9. Good advice all. A shopping I will go!