Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Pacman, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Just bought the wife a 1966 Yamaha U2 upright piano today! Totally refurbished, looks brand new, sounds awsome! This piano has the same string length as a baby grand (50"), and I can't wait to have my piano player over to record.

Acoustic pianos are to keys as the Big Girls are to bass.... life is good.

And it was less than $2500!
  2. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Congratulations Pac. I'm sure your wife will be very happy with the piano that you bought for HER! ;)
  3. Congratulations! Sounds great, but a piano can be the very devil to record. What room is it in? How were you thinking of micing it? I'm in the middle of a project which involves recording two grand pianos (in quite a small room), so if you need any tips, feel free to ask.

Live music can't be beat!

- Wil

BTW: I couldn't help thinking of that old Chinese Proverb:

"…foolish man give wife upright piano - wise man give wife upright organ…" :meh:
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Our piano is a very old upright. It once sounded very good, but over the years, it has begun to beak down. The last repair estimate we got was last year to the tune of $1,900. O am not really sure it is worth it. I'd guess it would be worth around $2500-3,000 restored. This winter, it has finally gotten out of tune to the point you can't play it anymore. (Or at least don't want to)

So, on a Valentines Day whim, I stopped by a local shop to see what I could do on a tight budget so we have a piano in the house. I love to hear my wife play, and I use it to help think through chords, progressions, etc.

Anyway, I played a half dozen or so electronic pianos in varying price ranges. I ended up with a Yamaha DGX500. I bought the whole rig including the matching bench for less than $700 and the thing sounds VERY VERY good.

It's a full 88-key piano with semi-weighted keys. Sure, it has some cheesy sounds on it, but I have seen $3,000 digitals with the same cheesy sounds. The basic grand piano sound is HUGE through a decent amp and very usable through the built-in speakers. I played no piano at any price with a better piano sample than this little cheapo Yamaha.

It has a dictionary feature that names chords for you (that's worth plenty to me), recording functions and bunch of other stuff that I'll never use.

It isn't an acoustic so the action is a little more toy-like, but if you want a piano to tinker and use for fairly modest things, I highly recommend checking this one out. I am far more than happy with the buy.
  5. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Congrats, Pacman.

I've had the same Young Chang studio upright grand w/ 5o" string as I played in high school. It sounds great and has lasted through several moves. By opening the top and removing the panels, or sticking a mic in the top, you can be plenty loud to jam. I've never tried to record with mine.