Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Screw this.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lucas, Jun 18, 2004.

1. lucas

lucas

Jun 18, 2004
    Okay,
    So I'm in my room groovin' with my bass, when suddenly, that bit that my strap hooks onto, pops out! I tried screwing it back in, but it's so loose that it just keeps popping out. I was thinking of just using a longer screw, and just drilling it in there so that it's tight, but I'm terrified that might mess up my bass.
    Am I making sense?
    If so; Any thoughts? Suggestions? Food? I'm hungry.

--Lucas

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    you could epoxy it in there

3. Sounds like another case for the 'ol toothpick and epoxy trick.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, you could try putting some other wood in the hole where the screw was, like from a popsicle stick, and gluing it in, and then screwing in a longer screw - if it's only about an inch longer, you shouldn't have a problem.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, btw, this would be better in setup, so i'll move it.

6. lucas

lucas

Jun 18, 2004
    m'kay.

And thank you; I appreciate it

7. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    This has happened to me. I just took some super glue and put a good amount in the hole then stuck the screw back in.

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    fill the hole with wood filler, and then re-screw.

9. Lucas,

Man, sorry to hear about that happening. I haven't been around here at this forum for very long, but you'd be amazed at just how many posts like yours I've read. Bass manufacturers must be using super-wimpy screws for those strap buttons these days, or perhaps it's lighter wood like basswood that they are screwing into?

Anyways.. Most of the suggestions here are good ones. If it were me, I would see if I could find some wood (like a small dowel, toothpicks, etc..) and glue that in there with superglue. Superglue works great with wood, and is fast.
    Then (if at all possible) I would see if I could find a new screw that is a bit fatter and/or longer that will fit the button. Drill the new pilot hole into the wood, then crank that bigger screw back in there. If you go with the same screw, chances are it's gonna happen again.

Good luck..
    Mag...

10. Mine fell out over a year ago and it hasn't fallen out again since. My solution was basically the best of all those above mine:

1. Place a toothpick in the hole, then snap off whatever extra sticks out, but make sure it will be flush with the exterior.

2. Fill hole with wood glue, but make sure the glue fills the hole entirely. I used an Elmer's glue bottle because the tip aimed the glue straight down (First two steps can be interchanged).

3. Let it dry for about a day.

4. Screw the strap screw back in until it is tight and cannot go any further (I used the original screw because I did not want to risk splitting any of the wood, plus I have not had it fall out since).

11. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    I've done the tootpick thing but w/o the glue, I also used a different screw - one big slightly bigger threads.

12. I think the toothpicks or whatever wood you put back in the hole is more important than the glue. Anything to make the hole smaller than it was basically...

Mine is fine 4 months after I just shoved some toothpicks in the hole and used the same screw.

13. Dont try and fix it with a bigger screw you will split the body over time and ruin your bass, you need to fill it with wood filler then redrill it. Or completely move the hole.

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I used the tooth pick trick without glue on a bass and it has held for YEARS. The screw compesses the toothpick and it holds real tight.. Give it a try.