1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SD card Playback for Home Theatre

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jazznut, Dec 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jazznut

jazznut

Sep 20, 2016
    Since taking up the bass in my old age & performing, YouTube has been an indispensable learning tool. In the past have been an audiophile & home speaker builder for 20 years. The core of my A/V system is a 22 year old Meridian Surround decoder that sounds great & will not be replaced. It has 3 audio Inputs 1) digital coaxial (my favorite, that goes with a Denon DVD player/transport) 2) digital optical, 3) analogue RCAs (for conversion to digital, processing, & back to analogue)

My video device is an old InFocus 805 LED projactor that I will also not replace. It only does 720p & has one DVI input thst I use with an HDMI/DVI adapter.

What I want is to be able to record YouTube stuff on my tablet (via TubeMate) & then sometimes play it back through my Home Theatre system without having to convert/archive the source material to a DVD. This I can actually do using a mini HDMI going to a splitter converter, & using the headphone jacks (splitting to RCA's) for analogue to digital conversion etc. The Meridian DOES do a nice job converting analogue to digital prior to processing, but a digital signal going into the surround processor is a little better.

My 2009 Denon DVD player has an SD slot, but without proper codec conversion can't play back videos. Thst Denon player also will not be replaced. My 2008 Panasonic DVD recorder has a usb port, but won't play my micro-SD card encoded YouTube stuff even with a stick. That particular component can be replaced, & it's the one with the optical audio outlet

So what I had in mind is either a DVD player/burner with the proper codec reading or conversion capabilities, or a media player that has both HDMI video outputs & a digital audio optical output.*

Please don't ask me to scrap my Meridian SS processor for some "updated" av device that can process both sound & video from an HDMI cable. You probably don't know how open & detailed my sound is, & to update & improve we are talking thousands of bucks I don't have.

* Actually a small used desktop computer tower might be a viable option if equipped with DVD, HDMI video & an optical audio output, but having someone put that together for me at a reasonable price...unlijely

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. jazznut

jazznut

Sep 20, 2016
    OK, the stick I referred to is a flash drive, & the Panasonic DVD recorder is supposed to read most usb memory devices (according to my DMR-EZ28 manual. I am at a huge loss. Am I supposed to keep on buying flash drives until I find on that works?