1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SD Curlee: what strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BarryH, Feb 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BarryH

BarryH

Aug 21, 2016
    Hull, MA
    I have a SD Curlee International that I got off Reverb. It came with
    La Bella Black Nylon Tape Wound Bass Strings; I was wondering if anyone knows what strings would have come with it originally?
    Thanks
    Barry

Attached Files:

• SD.
      SD.png
      File size:
      357.7 KB
      Views:
  2. I have no idea what they started with.
    I have RS 66s on mine.
    Bright, aggressive, in your face.

How are the tapes working for you?

3. BarryH

BarryH

Aug 21, 2016
    Hull, MA
    The tapes a nice and mellow. I play through a JHS Lime Aid compressor, with an Ampeg BA115. The band I play in is Little Feet/The Band/Dead/Stones /Kinks so the sound suits that material. I have another bass – it's a Squire Jaguar SS (cheap but fun) and it has round wounds – I play it a lot watching the TV and it got me thinking maybe swapped out the tapes; I do enjoy the lively round wounds.

4. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    That's one of the old Curlee's. Scott from birdsong guitars bought out SD Curlee and is making them again. I've always wanted to play one.

5. BarryH

BarryH

Aug 21, 2016
    Hull, MA
    That's why I bought it, I always wanted one, since High School, 1978. They are good value, I got mine with an OHSC in good condition for $500. It's an International so Japanese.

6. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    I am pretty sure Bill W. is right.
    I believe mine came with Rotosound 66s when I bought it new in the seventies.

7. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    Mine does not have a thumb rest on its body either. (Yes I still own my SD Curlee from new)

8. BarryH

BarryH

Aug 21, 2016
    Hull, MA
    My thumb rest looks original, but having at quick look at google images it looks like most don't have them. Where did you buy it new?

9. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    I bought it new at The Sound Post in Mt. Prospect, IL (Chicago suburb) during the first year or two of production. I eventually removed the frets and made it a lined fret less and worked pretty good. It's currently somewhat of a basket case (all original parts) as (if I correctly recall) the DiMarzio p/up has issues.

10. BarryH

BarryH

Aug 21, 2016
    Hull, MA
    I love the 32" scale is nice – not too short. The action is a bit high, I had some one adjust it but it popped back up again so I took it in again.

11. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I agree with Bill here.
    I bought mine brand new in'77. Still have it.
    Mine's the version with the brass DiMarzio.
    Can't remember what came on it out of the music store, but it's had Rotos on it for decades.
    It truly defines the "piano like" sound.

IMG_0537.JPG IMG_0538.JPG IMG_0539.JPG IMG_0540.JPG IMG_0077.JPG

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  12. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    Yep. Got the brass DiMarzio in mine too.
    Regarding the piano like sound, your right Tangent, and now you reminded me that I must have purchased mine in '77 also since that tone was the closest to a Alembic Series I could afford, (after seeing RTF and all in concert and playing the Maple Series I they had at Bag End when they were in Palatine IL!)

tangentmusic likes this.
  13. BarryH

BarryH

Aug 21, 2016
    Hull, MA
    Wow nice– that is one of the originals with that pick up. Maybe I will get some Rotos then as it sounds like that's what SD Curlee had in mind; thanks for all the info :bassist:

14. BarryH

BarryH

Aug 21, 2016
    Hull, MA
    Looking at mine again – looks better without the thumb rest!