1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SD Quarter Pounders. Are they quiet?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JosephRose, Dec 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JosephRose

JosephRose

Nov 9, 2016
    Philly-ish
    Looking to replace the stock pickups in my Fender Mustang PJ. By all accounts, it seems like the SD QP's might fit the bill for my brand of rock.

I'd like something quieter (less hum/noise) than the stock pickups. Should I expect these will be quieter in that regard?

2. I have that SD P/J set in a bass.

Haven't experienced any noise or hum so far...

JosephRose likes this.
  3. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    I think any p/j set will have some noise as they are not noise cancelling like a j/j set is and the quarter pounders are no different in this regard, if you would like a brighter tone with bigger lows also then the quarter pounders will do that but ime they only really sound good with rounds or tapes , tried flats with them and it didn't really sound all that good

4. I thought that was the whole idea of the split P and hum-cancelling J's..

Zane DeBord likes this.
  5. AFAIK, the QP Jazz pickup is not hum-canceling.
    So, if you have a problem with noise now, I doubt the QP Jazz will help, unless you shield your bass while you're changing the pickups.

Slater likes this.
  6. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    I have installed a pair of JJ QP on one of my fivers.When used both (both vol on max),they're quiet as any other pair of "real singles" out there...but when they're soloed (or unbalanced to any degree,for that instance),they're prone to picking outside disturbances (magnetic fields,stage lights,etc)....not to mention that they're somewhat noisier because they're really hot..I made a helluva shield protection on that bass using copper tape,very efficient althought but....due to the QPs' construction specifics,cannot be the quietest and I assume that it cannot be "better" for the very same reasons.If you need absolute silence because your playing environment is "dirty",look for a similar (hot) pair of PUs wich are noiseless "per se".

7. Have a set of the SD P bass pickups in my Fury perhaps not completely relevant for your PJ setup. However there was allot more noise initially but that was due to the shielding and higher output. After that was sorted no probs great pickups massive output and great sensitivity....