Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Second bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tenchu, Oct 7, 2004.

1. My current (and first) bass is a Yamaha RBX-170 and I'm planning on buying a second bass (Ibanez SRX-705), which is a little under €700. However, since I'm not in a band yet, even though there are some plans in that direction which will probably be realised in two or three months, the question arose if this is an unjustifiable expense right now. And because you're the experts, I would like to hear your opinions.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well, how long have you been playing?

That Yamaha is a fine machine for its price... Probably the best in its own league...

What do you feel you need that you aren't getting out of the Yammerjammer?

3. A little over six months.

1. Five strings.
    2. A better tone (not that the Yamaha's is bad or anything).
    3. A bass in that next 'league' that's affordable.

4. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    It's nice to have a half decent bass around the house, even if you don't gig. I spent $550 USD on my Spector, when all I really needed was a $400 bass for what I do. I sometimes have second thoughts about spending a little more when I'm just a bedroom warrior, and refuse to gig. But long as you're not having trouble keeping gas in the car or food in your stomach, no one can give you lip about treating yourself to decent gear ^_^.

5. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    You're only on your 2nd bass?!? :p

A better or different sounding bass can open up things for you in the learning process. It's not necessary, but...
    If you do get some interest in being in a band, it's nice to already have equipment.

6. More opinions needed please. :help:

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    As a Yamaha nut I would firstly like to say GO YAMAHA!!!! Secondly, I still can't get over how good Yamaha's bottom of the bottom range basses are for they are how much they cost. Would you consider upgrading to a "higher end" Yammy like a TRB (Sorry, I just had to. I am a Yamaha fan, but more to the point, a TRB fan)? Oh, and I don't think the expense is unjustifiable at all. Spending money on something that you will no doubt get enjoyment out of and probably cause you to practice and play more isn't unjustified.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    By the time I'd been playing for 6 months, I'd owned three basses. All were Ibanez and they were great. I played the bass you're looking at and I can only recommend it as it's a great piece for the money.

Yes, it's easy to justify the purchase of another bass, remember, they're not toys, they're tools, and you certainly wouldn't use a ball-peen hammer and a sledge hammer for the same thing would you?

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Go for it. I don't mean to be rude, but at 6 months you don't even know what you really want yet. The only way to find the bass that is the most "you" is to not just play but own a few different style basses. Heck, it took me 2 years and a few bright basses later to find that a P with flats was what moved me the most. I had an SRX705 but had to get rid of it because I was having alot of pain with the shallow neck (I need a thicker C shaped neck). Other than the pu's being a little noisy I thought it was a pretty darn good bass and a great value (atleast in american dollars, $700ish). Is 700 Euros alot more?

10. It's actually €690 (with a bag). I think 1 Euro is 1.2 Dollars or something like that.