Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Second Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGuitarNerd, Apr 5, 2005.

1. For my second bass I am thinking of buying an American Fender Jazz Deluxe. I know it's a bit pricey, but from what I have read, some people consider it the best guitar ever made. All I have right now is an Ibanez SR300DX. It will be a big step up for me. Is this a good choice? I think I will go try it out at a Guitar Center tomorrow. Anything else I should try? I want a guitar that will possibly be the last one I will ever need. The American Jazz Deluxe sounds like it. :)

P.S. It comes with a hard case, and I don't have one. I thought that was nice, considering it cost so much.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Give everything a shot while you're there - might as well really, might find something ya like better. One thing's for certain though, it's rare to find that one bass that'll last you forever, and rarer to find it on the 2nd try. It's a long quest, some find their end sooner than others though. Good luck!
    Also, welcome to TB, the best place on the web. Take time to get familiar with the search function, as most topics have been covered. Also, take a quick minute to hit the FAQs. Enjoy your stay!!

Ray

3. Be sure to look outside of Fender. From what I have heard, Fenders are known for having dead spots on the 5-7th frets (not sure if this is true). Look into Musicman, and don't be afraid of used gear. I bought my second bass used, and it has never failed me. Hope this helps :smug:

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    There is a reason the Fender Jazz is probably the most "copied" bass guitar ever, both in appearance, design and construction. It is timeless in it's simplicity and versatility. A jazz is a great choice for this reason, and many more. If you like the way it feels and plays it is really tough to go wrong!

5. "Is this a good choice?"

No, it's not a good choice at all. It's a GREAT choice. You can't go wrong with one of these. I love mine to death.

6. Yeah MIA Fenders are a good choice. But make sure you aren't buying it just becasue it has Fender on the Headstock. You should go to a store and try as many basses as you can before you make your decissoion.

7. :cool: There are more comments made about the Fender "dead spot" than there are complaints about politicians, religion, and life in general. The complaint is so over-rated that I have to laugh everytime I read about it.

I've been playing Fender basses since 1962. The "dead spot" is more "noticeable" on some basses than others. It's usually only "noticeable" on the "G" string. From my own experience, it's only more "noticeable" if you're specifically looking for it. I've owned Fender basses where it is none existant. When you are playing, I've never found it to be a real problem, even when it's a bass where it is "noticeable". Your audience won't notice it. And, I don't think you're going to discuss it with them. Your bandmates probably won't notice it either.

No, let the anti-Fender pundants have their say-so. Let those who wish to make a big deal about it, have their say-so. But, I say! Play the damn bass as you would when you're playing a gig. Play it as you would when you're really into it. If the bass talks to you, if you like what you feel and hear, to hell with anyone else who doesn't like it. They don't have to play it.

Good Luck!

8. Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to check everything out tomorrow when I go (It's going to rain and I'll have nothing to do). I'll have a lot of time to think about it becuase I still need to get the money. :)

9. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I would highly highly recomend a Fender MIA Jazz deluxe I have one and its AWESOME! I tried tons of stuff and thats what I picked , but like everyone else has said try out as many different basses as possible whats right for me may not be right for you.

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The new Fender MIA basses have graphite strips in the neck, and are well built. All of them that I've tried have been dead spot free. They are a very solid choice. Be sure to try the P-deluxe as well, its a really cool bass.

11. you cant go wrong with a fender jazz. the jazz has great sound, but make sure you check out everything.

12. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Couldn't agree more. I own and have owned lots of Fenders, some with dead spots, some without, and dead spots have always been way down on my list of reasons I like or don't like a bass. My absolute favorite bass ever has a definite dead spot in the usual place (C on the G string) -- but given the the opportunity to swap it for new one of exactly the same model without a dead spot, I took a pass, because everything else on this bass told me it really was "the one."