Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

seeing Chris Wood tonight!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bino, Dec 5, 2003.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Not like on a date or anything. MMW is in Portland tonight and I'm stoked! Haven't seen these guys in years and now that I live in the sticks almost any concert is a luxury. I'm sure it will be well worth the 20 degree, 2 hour drive on a moose strewn highway.

2. yeah man.......have a good show!

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I love to see MMW live and Chris Wood is a great bass player. John Medeski is one of my favorite musicians to see live because he gets into playing his keyboards so much. Enjoy the groove! :cool:

4. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Dude, I'm going to that show too...:D

See you there!

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Saw Chris's Brother's gig last Saturday (the 6th) here in Atlanta (Northside Tavern).... If you ever get a chance to see Oliver Wood's group 'King Johnson' (www.kingjohnson.com)... DO IT!!! They have got the most pocket bassist & Drummer ever.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah MMW is amazing, seen them a bunch!

6. Chris Wood is one bad mother. I saw MMW for the first time a few months ago opening for the string cheese incident (didn't stick around for them). They put on an awesome show-it just one continuous stream of grooves, they never take a break.

7. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I went to the show Bino started this thread about....it was great.

Chris is underrated as a player and soloist. He blew some amazing stuff, grooves and solos. He even played a slide solo way up high over the pickups of his old looking p bass.

He did some cool stuff with some funky moog type effect.

Dude plays with some force too! Man, he was ripping at the strings of his upright and electric.

The drummer was incredible too, that's Martin right? He just propels the groove ahead, forging a nice wide place for the other tow to play over.

Awesome band. See them.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You sure about that? I love MMW and every bootleg and live album I have of them and the one time I saw them live they've never played a continuous stream of grooves. In fact that's one thing I like about them. They'll gradually morph the groove into a kind of a free thing with no defined rhythm or groove for a while and then all of a sudden they'll bust back into an even tighter groove. I love that.

brad cook

9. Sorry, what I meant was that they don't stop, they blend all their songs together so that it's just one stream of music.