Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

seeing red

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mike1968, Jun 9, 2005.

1. mike1968

mike1968 Guest

Nov 12, 2004
    e'ville Indiana
    Today my daughter, who is learning to play both guitar and bass, had a friend come by . He had a bass with just 2 out of four strings on it. I sometimes save strings for some reason when I re-string so I said I would fix him up . This bass , brand name carera,was in terrible shape. the electronics where shot, the pickup poles had fallen back into the bass ,the tuners were trash , there was a crack in the body at the neck joint, ect..........Someone sold him this bass for $150.00. I couldn't even tell him he got took. I need my deck and fence stained and told him if he helped me I would buy him an inexpensive bass.The guy who sold him this needs it back, shoved up his **s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    :eek:

It's a shame

:rollno:

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Man, that sucks. I hate it when somebody gets ripped off.

Moved to Miscellaneous.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ouchies.

I guess thats what TB is for - I came here and found SX's...

Nonetheless...take the bass to the guys mailbox or something; he deserves it...(not really, but you get my point)

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    you rock!!

up until the cracked body, I didn't see much of a problem, since those can be replaced or fixed... dang... I spent less on my Ibanez, used, and it was in great condition...

6. Dude.........your cool.

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    ...his cool what? :smug: ;) :p

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    his cool dude... it's in Yoda Speak...

Dude your cool yes.. hmmm

9. that's awesome that your whilling to that. one time i walked into a pawn shop to check out music stuff (as i often do ) they had a used (duh) squire p-bass w/ knobs missing, stickers all over it, scratches all over it and the neck was warped and some of the frets were were coming up. true all these can be fixed easily. but he was asking $200 :eek:

I told him i can buy a new one for $150 and he wasn't inerested in what i had to say. so I said as i left "see how long you stay in business with that attitude"

six months later he was out of business :smug:

that's what you get for trying to take advantage of people :)

10. Ok Mrs. Bassturtle, I wont fail anymore of these english tests............Ize Swers!

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That was a perfectly cromulent sentance that embiggend us all as a community.

Anyway - Mike1968, your a good guy to help the kid out.

12. Are the Grammar Police here?! Quick, let's hide!! :bag:
    And do your ormlets riffle clean or do you carry your lunch? ;)

However, what a great thing to do for that poor kid. Wouldn't you like to get a hold of the a*****e who sold him that bass and do him a major mischief! Mike1968, I take my hat off to you, you are a true 21st century hero! :D

13. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Me fail English? That's unpossible!

14. Do you still have the kid's phone number? I've got a Harmony bass that I'd part with for $500 or so... ;)

Sorry for his luck, but its one of those invaluable learning experiences. I hate to think that there are people out there who take advantage of kids, but they are and always will be. The kid probably thought he was getting a good deal too. He'll be sure to think twice about his next uninformed purchase.

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Helping some kid get better gear than he would have otherwise makes you feel pretty darned good. I did it a year or two ago with my 2x15 cabinet that I wasn't using anymore.

I was at GC. I heard a kid talking about needing to put together a more serious rig, but the money he was talking wasn't going to get him much. Then it occurred to me that I had a great big cabinet in my garage that I wasn't going to use anymore. And I decided right then that I would rather have some good karma and the knowledge it was going to someone who would appreciate it, than what little money I could get for it.

So I gave it to him.

It felt good.

16. PM me and let me know what the kid needs; I may have some equipment he can use.