1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Self publishing (fiction)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mr. Pickles, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I'm thinking about self publishing two young adult novels and three illustrated children's books that I've written over the past several years. Anyone have insight into this process?

I've published three books in the academic market, which are highly regarded, but sales are slow to nonexistant. Crossing over to the fiction industry has been difficult. I've been querying agents and publsihers since 2005, but have had no luck so far.

I'd like to make my manuscripts available for download for a nominal fee. If I can generate some income, I'd like to print hard copies and sell them in local bookstores and online.

I have no problem publishing and distributing my music for free, but I'd like to make some money for my written work.

I don't want to discuss the merits of my work here; I'm just needing input on how to get started.

Thanks in advance.