1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Selling to guitar center vs local shop consignment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mambo4, Sep 16, 2017.

1. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I have a high end bass I neef to sell for some emergency funds. I'm considering consignment at a local shop, but also selling to GC. I'm curious if GC pays a decent price for their used gear. Does anyone know how they are?

2. GC will offer no more than half of what they guess they might sell it for. They may not know what a fair market price is for anything that is not very common.

I recommend Craigs List to get the best price if you can stand not selling it immediately.

3. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    You could post it here in the classifieds.....you never know....

4. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Selling a high end bass on consignment or to a place like GC will never make anywhere close to what the bass is worth. I would take out a loan and take my time selling the bass for what it's worth to pay off the loan before going the route you are talking about.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You have feedback here. If you post it for a stupid low price for a fast sale it'll still get you more than guitar center will give you.

Ghostinthemach and LeeNunn like this.
  6. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    put it on reverb stay away from GC they will insult you with their offer

7. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    1. Look up comparable instruments at GC.
    2. Halve that price. That's in the neighborhood of what GC is likely to offer.
    3. Add 25% to that halved price and post it here.

The price will still be vastly below market, so a fast sale here is likely. Meanwhile, you'll be getting more than GC will give you and the comfort that the instrument is going to a good home.

Win-win.

Ghostinthemach likes this.
  8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    This.

Honestly if I were you I'd pony up the $5 for 1 month supporting membership and sell it in the classifieds here. Like it's been said, even if you sell it at a low price it's still going to be more than what any shop is going to give you.

9. I'd sell it (or try to) locally or on classifieds before selling to a big chain store like Guitar Center...

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Selling it here for dirt cheap is the best way. You said it's high end so let's say a reasonable resale value is $2000? GC will give you $800. $1000 if you're very lucky. Craigslist might get you $2000 but it may take a while and damn near anything could happen meeting a stranger for such a high ticket item. Put it up here for maybe $1500? $1200? If it's a legit bass that people know and there's a market for it, someone's gonna get it if only to flip for a profit. In the end you'll still get more than anywhere else.

11. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I think you best bet is your local CL and TB Classifieds. You do have to be supporting member, but you are offering to an audience of bass players.

12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My local GC will look up your bass on ebay and get the average ebay selling price, then offer you half of that price if it's in really good shape, less if it's not so hot in the looks department. Mods or unique don't matter, and they will give you fifteen bucks for any case you want to sell them, nothing for gig bags.

I'm with those who said list it here. If you make it a killer deal, someone will jump on it pretty quick and you will still do better than you would on GC or consignment.

13. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Guitar Center will give only 50% of its value. its a guaranteed sale, but it's half. I would try Craigs, Ebay, etc, before I resorted to GC

14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's not a guaranteed sale at all with GC. You could spend an hour there and walk out with nothing.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sell it here. Virtually all of my gear came from guys here. I have sold several pieces too. Great community to deal with.