1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Selmer Treble n Bass 50 MK III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JayG_080890, Oct 26, 2018.

1. JayG_080890

JayG_080890

Oct 26, 2018
    Hi All,

I have recently purchased a Selmer Treble n Bass 50 MK III amp and am now in search of a good cab. I have only ever owned combo amps prior to this so open to recommendations and advice on what I would be best looking for. The amp will be used for some small/medium gigs, but would mainly be used for recording.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

BassikBrad likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What's your idea of good bass sound?

3. JayG_080890

JayG_080890

Oct 26, 2018
    I like the 60s bass tones of John Entwistle, Jack Casady and Paul Mcartney (particularly Revolver album) and more modern tones of the arctic monkeys. Ideally I want something that will embrace the vintage sound of the amp. I’m just not sure what I should be looking for in terms of speaker sizes, how many speakers and wattage?

Thanks!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    None of that is particularly relevant, and power handling is completely irrelevant. With a 50w amp, you can be fine with something small, but the bigger your cab, the louder you will be able to go. But you can find cabs with any size speaker that you'll love or hate. For what you're looking for, I'd say you'd probably want to start by looking at Ampeg, Fender, Mesa and Aguilar.

5. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I use these, mostly the 100w ones though, and they work really great with Barefaced Compact and Super 15 cabs (the Kappalite 3015 loaded ones, so there are some Greenboy functional equivalents).

Also, Jeff Matz of High on Fire just picked up a 100w TnB, might be worth looking at Matz cabs, his own line, they should agree pretty well.

6. webmonster

webmonster

May 19, 2013
    New Zealand
    I've got a 1970's T'n'B 50 (with brushed aluminium front). Cabs I use are either 1 or 2 TL 606's w/ kappalite 3015ho, or a vintage 2x12 loaded with eminence beta-ii drivers.
    The amp sounds great with either configuration, I think :)