1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Semi finals USA vs Canada

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mr L, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    What are your opinions on the soccer game?

Amazingly played by both sides, one of the most entertaining games I've seen in a long time.

On the other hand, some of the most terrible reffing of all time.

Might be a good idea for team USA to give Christina Pedersen a medal, she earned it.

2. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    National pride aside, I do think the referee was incompetent.

1) The six second rule is virtually NEVER called in elite soccer. The last time was 2002!! And if it is called, you're given a formal warning first. It didn't happen.

2) The handball call against Canada was a travesty. The player has to intentionally try to touch the ball and this didn't happen. This was an example of the ball contacting the arm - not the player contacting the ball.

The call gave the USA a penalty shot which tied the game up with about 12-minutes left.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Bad reffing almost takes the joy out of the win. Both teams played well though, there's no shame in that at all. Personally, I'm just surprised that incompetent reffing actually went our way.. to me, it usually seems to be the opposite.

4. gotta look at it this way, if Canada wins, will have 30 million will have a potential audience of 30 million viewers tunning in for the final, if the USA wins, there will be a potential audience of 250 million. big bucks on the line
    sure Canada got rooked

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It's always more memorable when it goes against you

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It was an incredible game. Who but Alex Morgan, can look incredibly hot while scoring a 123'rd minute goal?

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I hated soccer until Alex Morgan came along. Giggity.

8. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    ^^^^^^^^^ I agree. Alex Morgan is one hot soccer babe! But it was against the law to score against us! ;-)

9. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I'd also like to point out that in order to give a penalty kick for a handball you have to be intentionally blocking the ball. In this case it was a shot so in order for there to be a penalty kick the ref was required to give a red card as well, otherwise it was just a free kick.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Uhhhh ... the USA won. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it.

11. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Handball by itself is not a red card. If a player commits a foul to stop a player or the ball from a certain goal, it's denial of a goal scoring opportunity (which is a red card; see: Luis Suarez for Uruguay in 2010).

Ball to hand vs. handball, while that's more debatable in general, it looked like the Canadian defender made the mistake of raising her arm as she was turning/jumping. It actually looked more like she was shielding her face, which is even worse decision than swinging her arm for momentum. Had her arm been kept close to her body, and if the ball still struck her arm, I suspect it wouldn't have been called (or shouldn't but who knows, given the how poor officiating has been throughout the competition).