(semi-NBD) Thanks for naming my bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AbnormalForms, Nov 22, 2022.

1. AbnormalForms

AbnormalForms

Sep 22, 2022
    Wichita
    A little bit ago, I posted a thread about asking for suggestions for a headstock logo for a parts bass I had just finished (Help Me Name this Bass). Once the dust had settled over there, I chose my one from the list that I thought would look the best and hooked up my cousin to make a custom sticker of it. Needless to say, I think it turned out fantastic:
    IMG_20221120_232904_708.jpg
    Thanks to @George Dennis for the first suggestion and @whero for the fun story to go along with it, I'd like to introduce the AbnormalForms Floater Bass! It feels great to play on the knee, having the thumb rest on the neck pickup in an extremely comfortable position that I'm used to playing in, it's very light for it's size due to the natural "chambered" body that the 3d printing process creates, and I love how the shiny gold hardware reflects off of the black and green (which I will savor before it inevitably becomes scuffed).
    IMG_20221120_234442099.jpg
    IMG_20221120_234707028.jpg
    IMG_20221121_192059133.jpg
    Despite it being an absolute joy to play and sounding fantastic, it is far from perfect, but the flaws only add character right? I didn't cut the knob cavities wide enough on some of them, so they are kind of difficult to turn, especially the treble boost, the electronics cavity is rather small and is a mess of wires, I didn't sand the 3d printed surfaces thinking it would leave a cool pattern but instead just left places where the paint refused to cover, and I neglected to give the back and electronics cover a proper black finish.
    That last point, however, I decided to remedy with a tribute to the previous thread (possible cringe warning, click at own expense):
    IMG_20221121_191537402.jpg
    I went out and got a labeler and added nearly all of the suggestions for the "name" of this bass from that thread (although I only added one from posts with multiple suggestions, only had so much labeler paper) to the back of the bass. Are some of the suggestions a little offensive and played mostly as a joke? Yeah. Are some of them rather mystical and I may have not understood where they came from? Also yeah. Did I get enjoyment and entertainment out of all of them? Heck yeah! Which is what lead me to do this silly thing in the first place. Am I absolutely insane for putting "stickers" on my "art"? I'll leave that for you to decide.
    The labels may or may not be temporary, as I might come back someday to give the back a proper finish. I guess it depends how long the labels decide to stay on there. The fun part of seeing them all on there is the fact that there is still room for more, meaning the bass can accumulate more names over time, which I'll probably leave for suggestions given by people I meet offline, seeing as you guys already had your go at it ;). Thanks again to all who unknowingly participated in my silly project!

(Now I need to find a case for it. Anyone have any suggestions for a case for a 50 inch long bass? :laugh:)

Ghastly, andruca, Levent and 5 others like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

i really enjoyed your naming thread (i had nothing to offer that was as clever as the ones you got!), and i'm really impressed with your whole project: how unique! :thumbsup:

:bassist: kudos! what a neat piece of innovation/design --- you should get an award for thinking outside the box! i'm glad it all came together for you. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Ghastly and AbnormalForms like this.
  3. whero

whero

Aug 28, 2016
    Nice - looks great!

What do I win? :roflmao:

AbnormalForms likes this.
  4. AbnormalForms

AbnormalForms

Sep 22, 2022
    Wichita
    Thanks! I'll have to let the Abnormal Council know of this award recommendation. I think they might agree!

A floater. Now then, I'm off to buy a can of peas and some inconspicuous meat ;)

JRA likes this.
  5. Levent

Levent

Oct 26, 2022
    Best post I've seen in a while, so sad I missed the original post :( would name It Hoverjazz, after Hoverjet GT hovercraft boat. Can still be Floater HoverJazz ? ;)
    Knob placement is really unique I like It.

AbnormalForms likes this.
  6. AbnormalForms

AbnormalForms

Sep 22, 2022
    Wichita
    There might be some room on the back for one more TB name... ;)