Sensitive electronics?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fiver, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Fiver

Fiver

Jul 7, 2008
    Sorry if this is not in the right section, but I figured my problem has to do with electronics so this would be the place to ask. I have a Peavy Cirrus BXP 5 string and I love it. The only problem I have is that it's extremely sensitive to movement:eyebrow:. When ever I shift it's position/move at all really, there is a loud scratchy/static sound until it stops moving. Before I thought it might have been because I had a really cheap cord, but I got a nice one for Christmas and the problem persists. Any ideas what the problem is? My guess is some wiring to the input jack on the bass is loose or something, but I really have no idea. I'll be playing at a show mid-February and would really like to be able to move about while playing without having to worry about these scratch-attacks. I suppose I could just take it in to Guitar Center, yeah?

Thanks in advance,
    -Fiver :bassist:

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Output jack could be worn out. That's my bet. Does the problem go away if you pull out the signal cable just a slight bit? Various places including Allparts have replacements. Otherwise, like you say, it could be the wiring to the jack.

If these are not the issues, then you might have to very closely inspect the internal wiring. At my age, a bright flashlight and magnifying glass are necessary. Yet another way to "inspect" wiring is to arbitrarily re-melt all of the solder joints, with just the slightest touch of new solder.

3. Japanoak

Japanoak

Aug 26, 2007
    Phoenix, Az
    Sounds like a loose connection to me. I doubt its microphonic cause it only happens when you move right?

If you know how to solder it should be an easy fix and is most likely in the input jack like you said or could be on your amp. My first guess would of been a dead cable but you've tried different ones.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 I'm betting on a bad connection and/or more particularly a dirty/loose jack.

5. If your jack is bad, you can pick up an new one at Radioshack.

Is your bass active of passive?
    The reason i ask is because an active bass will require a TRS jack, versus a passive will be fine with a mono jack.

6. Fiver

Fiver

Jul 7, 2008
    Well considering I have no idea how to solder and don't have a soldering iron, I guess I'll just take it into Guitar Center soon and see if they can do a quick fix for me.
    @ line6man, it's active, thanks for the info

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021