1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Serek Owners/Fan Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remcult, Aug 30, 2019.

1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    I’m pretty obsessed with Serek basses atm, and have a build in-progress with Jake. When I was looking around for info I would’ve loved for this sort of group to exist as a resource, so here we are. Any folks who own Sereks feel like posting pics of their basses and talking about them a bit?

(I'm also open to hearing from folks who sold theirs or who for whatever reason weren't entirely happy with their Serek bass, like I said I'd like this to be something people who may be interested in buying one could refer to. Just please keep it civil)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    CaptObvious, Microbass and cataract like this.
  2. NBD SEREK SACRAMENTO BASS
    Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alan Scharrer, Dec 14, 2018. You will sew my build in all of its glory.....a real keeper. Jakes the Best!

remcult likes this.
  3. J. Brooks

J. Brooks Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here's mine, I love it. F2301C52-384D-4648-AF57-1F5685E362B5.jpeg

4. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    I've got one being built also. Midwestern 2, tv yellow, overwound B-90 pickup, red tort etched (decoboom) pickguard. Can't wait

handofseven and remcult like this.
  5. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    I can't wait for mine. Jake just dropped this today, has me questioning if I should go medium or short scale

nixdad likes this.
  6. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I'm just here for the pictures. :)

7. I'm a total Serek nerd!
    I've had my MW2 since May and i cannot put it down. it just keeps getting better...

between the look, sound and the feel, this bass has everything i need, and inspires me to improve!

ze bass.jpg bowtie.jpg

JEDI BASS, outoftune, nixdad and 3 others like this.

8. i'm wondering, what is the current wait time for a new build??
    ...already itching for a 5er.

remcult likes this.
  9. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    About 5-6 months (I ordered mine last month and it ships in January)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    mobeme23 likes this.
  10. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Some clips of dope players and their dope Sereks

Low84, nixdad and J-Mags like this.
  11. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey

12. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey

13. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey

nonohmic likes this.
  14. Definitely would be my go to for a custom build. Nitro black, maple board. Matching headstock. Would love something modern that sounds either like a Grabber or G3.

remcult likes this.
  15. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey

love the "stock" pickup options Jake's offering

16. i couldn't agree more!
    my Guild Bisonic (neck) nails the woolly gritty tone with the tone knob dimed.
    and my Novac BS/DS (bridge) cuts through the mix so well when i need a little more oomph.

for my next build...if/when i can, i'm jonesin' for a midwestern with a B90 in the sweet spot.

17. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    So cool, loving the pink! What kind of situations do you find yourself playing it in?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  18. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    We're going to need pics when it arrives, sounds badass!

I was pretty close to getting my MW2 5er in yellow, but after waaay too much waffling decided to go for a custom color scheme based on this strat (complete with mint pickguard). I'm really grateful for how patient @Serek_Basses has been through the whole process, I barraged the poor guy with questions and he's just been great and really responsive.

I still go back and forth on things like "should I get a 22nd fret added?" or "should I go for medium rather than short scale?" but I'm pretty happy with the specs we decided on. Now I just need to get at least 5 more basses from him and I should be set (I still dream about the Sacramento I played at The Guitar Shop in Brooklyn, so good)!

Attached Files:

19. remcult

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Gorgeous! Is it your go-to at the moment, or something you really like breaking out now and again? Anything that particularly stands out? Anything you'd change? Like I said, I'd love for this to be a bit of a resource for people curious about Serek

20. It's definitely my go-to, and seems to fit in to all of the styles of music i am making these days. i don't have much GAS for anything else, and i don't see that changing any time soon.

Backstory -- i really took a shot in the dark with the Serek, after hours of research trying to craft the "perfect" bass in my mind: short scale, lighter weight, two pickups, warm vintage tone without being a relic. A few years back, i saw The Tedeschi Trucks Band, and Tim Lefebvre was playing this tiny (from where i was standing) bass with massive tone! a few more hours of research, and a soft inquiry to Jake about lead-time and cost, and i was hooked! as you mentioned, working with Jake was easy and highly professional, and i was able to narrow down my specs and decide on my preferences pretty quickly, though the bowtie inlays were a late addition to the job.

i think what stands out the most to me is the ease of playability, especially on the neck. it's hard to put into words really, but the combination of the neck shape/width, and contour of the frets, is a perfect combination for me, and allows me to really hone in my technique.

what constantly fascinates me is the spectrum of tone and attack that is available between the bridge and the neck. it's really been an endless discovery period between the natural tone that the instrument creates, combined with the well-matched pickups. the seemingly infinite possibilities is what keeps me coming back for more.

i wouldn't really change anything about my MW2. i think Jake does such a great job of taking your ideas and realizing them in such a [deceptively] simple and compete way, that the finished product is a true collaboration between your imagination and his craft. if anything, it sparks more interest for me to get another one with a whole other set of specs --- maybe a MW with a B90, or boy, those Sacramentos look pretty sweet too!!!

...sometimes, i feel sad for my other basses, as they sit and gather dust. but that feeling goes away pretty quickly as i dig further into my MW2!

Microbass and remcult like this.