1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Series III Clarus/Contra/Coda owners: Howzyeramp?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by LowNote, Apr 23, 2006.

1. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've started this thread to parallel the thread directed at owners of the new Focus III amps because I'm very curious as to the experience of the owners of the new Clarus/Contra/Coda amps. I owned an early Contra amp that I subsequently sold and presently own a New Yorker. With the introduction of the first Focus II and now the Focus III, I find that I'm rarely using the New Yorker because I like the additional power and headroom of the Focus paired with either a ContraEX or sealed Schroeder Mini12+ cabinet or both. In fact, I tried to sell the New Yorker on eBay this past week but didn't sell the amp because the bid prices didn't come in high enough.

With the significantly increased power of the Clarus/Contra/Coda amp, I would love to hear from owners of these amps. Is the power of the new amp sufficient to make them a viable alternative to using a Focus. Having sold my Walter Woods Ultra and GK MB150, I need another amp for a backup at a minimum, and I'm giving serious consideration to getting into line to buy one of the Series III Coda amps. I don't want to do this if it won't be powerful enough however. Your real world experience gigging with the new Series III line would be much appreciated.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles

2. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    LowNote - I'm coming from a 15 year old Poytone Mini-Brute III (15"), 100W, playing a carved 30 yr. old German upright with an Underwood p/u, Fishman pre-amp. I acquired a Clarus III going and now through a Carvin 12" PA cab, 8 ohm for now and the sound is clean and natural and I can crank it without any distortion at all. Great amp. It would probably sound good through any speaker, all things considered. Never had a WW to compare to. Hope this helps.

3. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I ordered a Coda a few months ago. They will be shipping soon and I can't wait. I think they pushed back the release date to make a few more adjustments. When I get it, I can post a review. I like my current 100 watt WW/BagEnd setup, but even that is a little too bulky and not quite loud enough. It's funny, when I was using a 60's era Ampeg B-15n, I bought the WW/BE and couldn't believe how such a great sound came from such a small package. Now I thinking that it's too bulky....strange. Do I need to worry when I start thinking that the AI is too heavy?

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    NikkyBass.
    Not to worry. I'm ready for an amp that's the size of an iPod!
    "If you build it (and it sounds good) they will come."