Series vs Parallel Question for yas

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Damani311, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Sorry, this will be my last basic question for this year, but I did a search and couldn't find a thread that answers all my questions (most of them are yes/no)......here goes:

1. Running two different cabs both out of the amp = series?
    2. Running two different cabs one out of the amp, the other out of the first cab = paralleL?

Just want to make sure I've got that right first.

Now, if the amp only has a mono output, then is there any difference at all in the two methods of output as far as power load and ohms?

Also, if the two cabs have the same impedence, but different RMS ratings (i.e.) one can handle more power, do they both get the same amount of power regardless?

Sorry to be a bug, I'm off now :)

2. Twnty1inRF

Twnty1inRF

Sep 13, 2007
    DC Region
    This site should answer all of your basic wiring and ohm load questions:
    http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

"1. Running two different cabs both out of the amp = series?"

Incorrect, this would be parallel.

"2. Running two different cabs one out of the amp, the other out of the first cab = paralleL?"

This is correct (and indentical to the above scenario).

"Now, if the amp only has a mono output, then is there any difference at all in the two methods of output as far as power load and ohms?"

No, both above scenarios are parallel (your load would drop - i.e 8 ohm + 8 ohm = 4 ohm load). To run series you would have to wire the cabs together using a special cord or crack the cabs open and wire the speaker together.

"Also, if the two cabs have the same impedence, but different RMS ratings (i.e.) one can handle more power, do they both get the same amount of power regardless?"

If the cabs impedence's are the same they will each get the same power from the amp but one cab may be louder than the other if there is a difference in their efficiencies.

3. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well put.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021