1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Setting up new PC for recording...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by drumandstage, Mar 10, 2019.

1. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    This!
    Don't even buy a monitor for the cheap machine. Install NoMachine to remote to it. Works on Mac, Windows, Linux.

VM's are fine too - but you split CPU, Ram, Disc and it's more of a balancing act. IMHO

Tommy V likes this.
  2. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I'm a big fan of Hyper-V ( surprisingly!) but VirtualBox works equally well, and would not steal resources from your system the way running a Hyper-V guest full time would. Just spool up the virtual box "on demand" when you want to surf. I'd probably use a linux OS inside the surfer - saves on windows licences. Heck, if yer not comfortable with linux then you could use the new and upcoming version of Front Page | ReactOS Project ( a ground up open source clone of windows )

In any event - WHATEVER YOU DO, do not neglect to set up Veeam to back up your system images to your handy local NAS RAID box. (you DO have one of those for your household backups, RIGHT???) Works for Windows or for Linux, and IT IS FREE :)

Free Windows Backup for Endpoints, Servers, Desktops - Veeam Agent for Windows

Free Backup for Linux workloads - Veeam Agent for Linux

THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD.. I have been a Veeam devotee/evangelist since 2014

3. Y’know, it’s really cool that many of you guys have the in-depth knowledge to make the proposed magic with personal computers. For most of us, though, you can explain it all you want but the glazed look you aren’t seeing over the Internet (or are ignoring in person) speaks volumes. You lost your original audience two pages ago and until you can translate geek-speak into colloquial English, they aren’t coming back. Maybe not even then. FWIW I’m a retired engineer and I’ve been on both sides of this table.

Is it really that easy? For the cognoscenti, perhaps. For laymen, no. Not, “You can learn it.” but simply, “No.” Not all of us are brain-wired that way. If, in fact, it was all that easy we wouldn’t be reading dozens of posts about the strengths and weaknesses of a range of “solutions.”

Tommy V likes this.
  4. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification and and Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm using a MacBook for mixing in Logic Pro. Logic and a bunch of plugins is pretty much all that is installed. And with the supposedly corrosion-free, made-in-heaven-match of Logic Pro on a MacBook's SSD, I still lose the occasional plugin while mixing due to drawing to much on the CPU. It happens, it's life, it's always been that way, and will stay that way. As long as I save mixes regularly, I can work. I don't count on a machine that never hiccups, minimizing the risk is IME the best anyone can do.

I'd be happy with a pc too.

I'd just keep that machine for mixing only, and don't need anything else on it, really - most of my day-to-day productivity & entertainment goes on my work-provided laptop, phone, iPad or Roku box.

5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    This.

Given the context and content of the original question, I think a simple solution is in order.

Maybe the one thing that ties them together is a hardware or software KVM switch in order to share a single monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Tommy V likes this.
  6. YES. I bought a refurbished laptop with fresh loaded Win 7, put Reaper on it and haven't had a problem yet. I keep it clean by not running hardly anything extra on it or surfing.
    If it was my only computer I would set it up to dual boot or boot off a different drive.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  7. I thank everyone for the input. Having a second machine for personal stuff is certainly an option, as I already own it. The new machine (sitting here in the living room waiting on one more HDD to arrive) is a Sweetwater CS450. I have the extra 32GB of RAM boosting it to 64GB total.

From the site: Intel 8th Gen Core i7-8700 (6 Cores/12 Threads) 3.2GHz (4.6GHz Max Turbo Boost) Rackmountable CPU with 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 2 2TB HDDs, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, and Software Suite (No bloatware)

I have gleaned a lot of good information from you all and appreciate it. If I can figure out the 2 computer idea in the small space I have, I will do that.

IconBasser and Robb Fesig like this.
  8. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is the concern you're trying to address? What is the problem that you're trying to solve?

9. Sorry, I thought I had replied to this already.

Essentially, I wanted the benefit of two separate machines in one unit. I was overcomplicating things, I guess and will just run everything on one OS.

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

(Sorry for being late back to this thread…)

The geek speak you’re reading earlier wasn’t intended to impress, or ignorantly ignore any eyes starting to glaze over. It’s more a reflection of how solutions are developed in the computer world. IT is very much a team oriented discipline. You bring us systems engineering types into a room, and we sit there hurling abstractions at each other until a consensus is reached as to which is the most optimal solution consistent with the constraints (usually budget and time) you have to work with.

So that back and forth you saw earlier was just a debate among the pros over the several available approaches to the OP’s request. We were basically trying to come to agreement on the best direction to go before committing to a hard and fast recommendation. ():)

11. ElectricBass72

ElectricBass72

Aug 6, 2019
    Sorry if this has been mentioned.... Refurbished PCs are excellent for DAWs. I'm using a refurbished HP desktop for my current DAW and it works great. The refurbished desktops and laptops I've purchased have a raw, clean Windows 10 install... with none of the junk software that HP, Dell, etc... bulk with their new PCs.