1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Setup Book for P-Bass and tools

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by johnvic, May 18, 2011.

1. johnvic

johnvic

Mar 15, 2011
    NYC
    I am interested in doing my own setups. I did my first, which I need to adjust, but plan on continuing doing them. I would also like to do basic repairs if need be. My main bass is Fender P-bass.

I would like to get a decent book for setup and repair. Stew-Mac has a book called "The Fender Bass Handbook", they also have a book called "Guitar Player Repair Guide". The Fender bass book seems like a no brainer. Like I said, my main bass is a P-bass, but I have a few others, including a cheap one I may leave at work for lunch time practice. I also have an old electric that I may use for demo's. Any opinions about these 2 books?

Also, is there any reason to buy their basic setup tool kit? I have a Johnson 6" ruler with 1/64" gradations. I have good screwdrives and allen keys.

2. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    I have this book - Link Here

Met the author (Paul Balmer) at last years UK BassDay, this book has helped me :)

Can't go wrong IMHO :cool:

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
  4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Stew Mac is in the business of selling tools and such. And while the quality of what they sell is typically very high, there's no reason you need to buy their basic setup tool kit. Most of what you'll need can be found in good hardware stores. As you progress, they'll be some items like fret files and such that you won't typically find in a hardware store. I'd get the instruction book of your choice and make your tool purchases on an "as needed" basis... unless of course you're like me and just like having tons of cool tools around :D

5. Get "The Fender Bass Handbook", plus the bass setup instructions that Fender has on their website. The "Guitar Player Repair Guide" is a good book, but not THAT useful for bass. The other book and Fender's instructions are better.

The book that Paddy is recommending is the UK version of "The Fender Bass Handbook"....they are the same book.

For a Precision, you need a 3/16ths hex key for the truss rod, a 1/16ths hex key for the saddle height, a #1 Phillips screwdriver for saddle fore/aft, a #0 Phillips screwdriver for pickup height and tuner screws, plus a small flat-blade screwdriver for removing and installing the volume and tone knobs. These are what I use for my Precisions.

Roger