Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

setup for 4-string fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by randlk, Apr 6, 2005.

1. I almost hate to ask because I know everyone else on the forum already has the answer, but I really need help setting up my fretless. The setup, when I got it , was exqisite. However, it was strung with roundwounds, which I immediately changed to nylon tapewounds. Now I can't seem to get it back to optimum performance. I keep geting string buzz, no matter what i do (and I really don't want my strings to be 1/4" or higher off the fingerboard) but then I see people talking about "that fretless string-buzz" and I think, "Have I missed something?" :confused:

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
  3. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
  4. Your problem stems from the fact that the nylon wound strings are thicker than their all metal counterparts. They have the same amount of metal in them - they have to so they can give the pickup something to "read" but the nylon is added to the diameter - not compensated for.

Begin all of your study and approach to the problem with this in mind.

5. Thank you all for your help and advice. I am a coward and will probably never adjust that truss rod myself. I finally took the bass to my local luthier for a new set-up, and now it plays wonderfully, again! :D

6. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    COngrats Randlk. Nothin like a smooth playin fretless/ :)