Setup in the Seattle/Tacoma area?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by casualmadness, Feb 18, 2010.

1. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    I searched and found a few threads on here pertaining to this but they are old-like 2007-2008 old.
    So does anyone know of a good, trustworthy, know what they are doing place in the Seattle or Tacoma area where I can get a good setup done? I've got a jazz bass with strings that I can park my truck under. :eek:
    I prefer someone closer to Tacoma since that's where I live. Seattle'ish works too.
    And yes, I am very aware of Mike Lull. However, I unfortunately can't afford that. Not to say his work isn't worth it. I'm just super broke at the moment and can't really do it.
    So anyone got a local guy they like?

2. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
  3. Not at all to preach...seriously, but...

Good, trustworthy, know what they are doing.... all three cost money. If you genuintely want a pro setup, I don't think Mike's prices are unreasonable. This sounds like a good opportunity to try some basic setup work yourself. Tons of reading material on the site and via the internet. In your case, you may find some good results simply by tightening the truss rod a bit. Good luck.

4. moon-bass

moon-bass They call me El Jefe Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    BassNW does great work. I have used them at various times in the past and they have also set up basses that I have bought from them. Reasonably priced, IMO.

5. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
  6. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Thanks for the replies so far. I knew someone would mention Mike Lull. It never fails.:rollno: So yes, I understand that what I'm looking for costs money. I get it. Everyone gets it. And Mike is among the best. Everyone knows that. But Mike has a celebrity clientele list and his prices, while not unreasonable, are geared toward his clientele. Basically, if I need a wedding cake, I don't necessarily need to go to the Ace of Cakes. Sure I will get an unbelievable cake from him. Sure it will be one of a kind. But I just need a basic wedding cake for a small wedding with a few family and friends.
    Mike also has a waiting list (at least he did last time I checked). One of the best setups I ever got in my life came from Jong at Jive Music in Alexandria, VA. (TB'er Jive1). Great setup, great price, great guy, and I got my bass back in just a few days. That's what I'm looking for. And I know there are plenty of people who can do a good setup.
    So thanks to everyone else. I'll start looking at your suggestions.

7. bassmanjla

bassmanjla

Feb 16, 2010
    Hollywood, CA
    Bass Northwest are my go too people. even after I moved away from seattle, I still do all my business through them. They have a new guy in there doing set ups now, as jeremiah got a pretty awesome gig, but the new guy is also a Roberto Venn grad. It's worth the trip up. besides you may get the opportunity to talk to some of the most knowledgable guys in the area. steve Fossen works there ( Hearts original bassist) too.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021