1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Setup to help bass sound cut through

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Chris Paget, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    Hi all,
    I'm playing my upright w/ a full circle pickup, and going through my 450 watt Ampeg head and 300 W Harke cabinet, with no preamp- the same setup I use with an electric bass. I've heard really good things about preamps, but have not been sure I've needed one.. yet I can't get my sound to cut through (even w/ the treble up). I end up just turning up the volume, which can overpower the other instruments..

Would including a preamp help the tone/sound presence significantly? I play with low tension strings and am really looking for that rockabilly click/slap sound, or just more natural sounds of the strings and bass.

Any other recommendations on how to get the bass' natural sounds more audible and out in front (so I don't have to crank it) would be appreciated!

Thanks!!!

2. contrabart

contrabart

Mar 19, 2010
    I never understood why we as bass players are expected to change our sound just to be heard. If others want to play with a double bass in the band, they should make shure they can hear you. I've always played with small amps, small cabinets. I think they sound better for acoustic bass.

3. +1! Couldn't agree more!

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Nice pun. :)

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Get a neck/fingerboard PU so the click/slap comes through more directly. I think Gollihur might have one.

6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Chris,
    Well ,you have a great pickup that can get pretty loud. I'm going to take a wild guess, that you have an Ampeg B2RE,based on the wattage you quoted for the head. You, may have a head that has a 500 k input impedance, I tried reading the owners manual, but it doesn't divulge the input impedance for that head. Using a buffer/preamp like the Fishman Pro Platinum or HPF/Pre could solve that problem, and improve your tone quality. One of the things that it's supposed to improve is what you are lacking. Another solution, would be a different cabinet, since Hartke's cabinets are really not as well suited for DB. Sure they will work, but probably not as well as others. IMHO, the better the tone quality, the softer you can play and still be heard. Even though you are going for volume and tone, tone quality will help your sound amongst other instruments.

Ric

7. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    adding some low mids instead of lows in your EQ might help you cut through the mix.

Never was fond of Hartke, also not for EB.