1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Several options

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by PRUNEFACE, Apr 15, 2009.

1. I'm still sick but should be ordering my bass soon. I've narrowed the bow choices down to about five options. I need to order sight unseen, so I need your advice. My teacher plays french, so that's what I'll be getting. I'd like to keep it under $550, but if there is something fantastic for a bit more I might splurge, I just need your help.
    Thanks

Upton

Ophelia or Lion Carbon Fiber Bows (you have to click inventory then on french bows)

Lemur Sunrise Pernambuco

Carbon Fiber Finale Bow

EDIT: Also, if you have any of your reccomendations I'd like to hear.

2. thewhale

thewhale

Feb 28, 2008
    north carolina
    Why must you order sight unseen? Have them send you a group of bows, see which you like best, send the rest back. It's more pricey this way, but it's worth it.

3. Finale carbon, to stay within your budget. You can't go wrong with one of those.

If you want a really fantastic bow, the Metropolitan, but that is probably overkill at your stage. I have a German Metropolitan, love it, it played better than a pernambuco bow four times the price. If $750 on a bow doesn't make you squirm, though, it's excellent value. The Codabow Revelation (on the Upton site) is almost the same, and quite a bit cheaper; I decided the (slight) difference in character was worth the difference in price, but it's so small opinions will vary.

Really, it depends how much you see yourself using the bow; if you're going to be playing Jazz or some other pizz style mostly, then don't bother with the high-end bows, but if you are going to be doing much classical, you will probably never need a better bow than a Metro or Revelation (what you might like is a different question).

4. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    I've got a mid-range German bow from Ken Smith Basses. It's about $400 and it's great. I use it professionally. I've compared it with a $3000 Reid Hudson and it holds its own very well.

5. Nick Lloyd has two bows that I am also looking at here (click on Samuel Shen Basses, then SB180, then Bass Accessories) the Mathias Thoma Brazilwood and D. Muniz Pernambuco bow, anybody use either of those before?

6. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    I own a Ken Smith C. Loveri french bow, about $400, which is very decent although on the heavy side (146g). He does have other weights available.

I just helped a friend pick out a new german frog bow last week and we found a great bow made by one of the Arcos Brazil makers - Muniz. Very good stick at about $650.

The best advice though is to try a bunch of bows with YOUR bass ( I guess you eed to have a bass to do this). It's no big secret around here that some bows work better with some basses.

Good luck. Focus on feeling better. I'm dealing with a couple of major health issues right now and know what a PITA that can be. Take care.

7. Okay, well I'm going to be trying out the no-name composite bow and the Mathias Thoma Brazilwood that Nick Lloyd offers.
    Thanks