1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Severance pay?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Axtman, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Has anyone here negotiated severance pay or taken their previous employer to court?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I was offered X amount by my last employer, I asked for Z. We agreed on Y.

-Mike

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Good luck with that.

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I negotiated a GREAT severance package from my former employer, good enough to help me start my own business. It really helped that I had photos of him & a stripper doing naughty things that his wife would not have liked.

5. LOL -- I do not know of anyone who has negotiated a sev package. I got one in 2007, and I was glad to get anything.

6. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    Depends greatly on your job position, if you can influence clients/customers or directed a large number of staff that you could poach to another firm, yes, you can negotiate a package.

7. Check you local/state labour laws for what the bare minimum payout required is, then start haggling!
    ALso, here in Canada/Ontario anyway, if you can find another fromer employee from the company, who has been given a package, try and find out what the company gave them. Should it go to court, you can easily say that the company has shown a willingness to pay out X amount and that you are also entitled to the same treatment.
    Fishheadjoe