Seymour Duncan MM pup to pair with ...?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Oct 6, 2020.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I have a Jazz Bass (not a Fender) with a Seymour Duncan Musicman pickup in the bridge position and a Fender N3 neck pickup in the ... neck position. Of course, the output of the Musicman pickup totally Obliterates the N3 pickup; So what I'm searching for, is a Jazz Bass (neck) pickup with a LOT of output. If I were to replace that neck pup with a Seymour Duncan pup; Which one (model/series) would be a good/better match for that MM bridge pickup? Thanks in advance.

2. wardak

wardak

Dec 3, 2001
    Did you solve this one?

3. Question:
    How is the MM pickup wired?
    The fact that it blows away the neck pickup makes me think that the coils are wired in Series.
    Parallel wiring will reduce output and perhaps match the neck pickup.
    Just a thought....

When I had my MM pickup wires in Series, the only neck pickup that could match the output was a Quarter Pounder.
    Wiring the MM pickup coils in Parallel matched output to a standard Fender USA single coil neck pickup.

is the N3 a stacked humbucker? Are those inherently low output?

Dubious Aa and madjazzbass like this.
  4. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Hey, Thanks for replying/responding; I'm not exactly sure how the MM pickup is wired but I'll take a picture when I get a chance , as far as the N3 pickup, I think they're "medium" output pickups.

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  5. Wire colors for most pickups are pretty standard (except for Delano and a couple others).
    Typically you’d have Black, White, Red, Green, and bare.
    Series wiring would have the Red and White connected to wash other and just taped off, not connected to anything else.
    Parallel would have Black and Red as hot, White, Green and Bare to ground.

madjazzbass likes this.
  6. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Excellent! Thanks, much appreciated :thumbsup:

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  7. This should say “to EACH other”... not “to WASH” other”...
    Frickin auto-correct...makes me wonder how bad I type for it to do that...

madjazzbass likes this.
  8. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    :laugh: No worries, I just assume when I see that, that people speak their text (verbally) like I do, then don't proof read it before they submit the text. I knew what it meant anyway.