Seymour-Duncan pickup booster

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by brock29609, Feb 24, 2004.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Anyone tried one of these on bass? All the reviews out there are from guitar players. How clean and how subtle of a boost can you get with one of these on bass?

SFX-01 Pickup Booster Pedal
    The first effects pedal designed specifically to work together with the pickups in your instrument to achieve optimum gain and resonance for all your tonal applications. Turn the knob to dial in pure, flat-EQ gain, ranging from 6dB, all the way to an astonishing 25dB!
    In addition, the Pickup Booster can add thickness to a single coil pickup. By engaging the Resonance Switch, the resonant peak of a single coil pickup can be lowered, making a Strat® pickup sound similar to a vintage humbucker or even a high-output humbucker.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The intended use for this pedal is more for guitars with low-output "vintage-type" single-coil pickups to help them get more overdrive from tube amplifiers.

If your looking for a clean boost for solos or whatever, I would suggest an EQ pedal like the Boss GEB-7.
  3. natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    MXR micro amp, poormans fat boost, kicks ass.
  4. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got one and am quite happy with it... it does exactly what it claims to do, which is simply boost your signal. I use it for soloes, and find that setting the boost level to 6 dB or so gets the job done just fine. So... I recommend it, it's fairly reasonably priced also.

I've experimented with the difference Resonance settings and haven't found any significant difference in tone, but this is with my preamp-equipped basses, so it's not surprising that this guitar-centric feature doesn't make that much a difference in my own situation. But with a passive instrument the results may be different.

5. It's a boost pedal and there's many pedals around that do similar tricks for different prices (from cheap to expensive):

• MXR Micro Amp
    • Boss GE(B)-7 EQ (the level slider)
    • Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
    • Fulltone Fat Boost
    • Robert Keely Java Boost (don't know if it's that good for bass though, but it has a full-range mode that should do the trick).
    • ... ?
  6. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I like the idea of the Seymour Duncan because it has true bypass, and it's cheap. I haven't found evidence that the Micro Amp has true bypass.
  7. Well, I've read about the Micro Amp that it doesn't suck out low-end. That's good enough for me; I don't see the point in all this truebypass ****... (I'm not trying to offend anyone...)
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No offense taken.

The point is that without true bypass, your tone will almost certainly change to some degree. In boss pedals, your analogue signal gets converted to digital and then back out to analogue again. Other pedals, like the EHX MicroSynth, have very audible tone suckage when supposedly off. There are other non true-bypass pedals which don't suck tone, such as the Dredgetone Angler.

Are all my pedals true bypass? No. I have a mutron which is most definitely not true bypass. But those that aren't I keep in an effects loop on my loooper.
  9. Very true David. Very true.

I, like most bassists, don't like pedals that suck out low-end out of the signal. I had a DOD Bass Overdrive and a ProCo Rat that both did that; I got rid of them for that reason.
    Anyway, in my band situation I don't hear much signal loss with cheaper pedals (TU-2 for example). But I can understand the idea and its importantancy (?) for people who use many effects in their chain...
    I have a Fulltone Bassdrive that's supposed to be true-bypass; I can say that the pedal hasn't influence on my signal... lucky enough because that pedal wasn't cheap at all :)
  10. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I've managed to put together a collection of pedals that are all true bypass except for one (the wah). I have a Loooper pedal which allows me to bypass all effects, but I see no difference in my clean tone when I A/B my effects loop.

USA Bassballs
    Fulltone Bass Drive
    105Q Wah (not true bypass)
    Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster (coming in the mail)
  11. natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    The Micro Amp is not true bypass, but no noticable loss of tone on mine, but when you turn it on...WOW. Very impressive booster for very little money. I've read some bad reviews of the S D booster, I think the negatives were reliability, check the effects review section of harmony central.
  12. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    My pickup booster was supposed to be delivered today, but it's delayed because of "emergency conditions". The "emergency conditions" they're speaking of is from the 34-degree temperatures and 1/2 inch of snow on the ground!! I hate UPS.
  13. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I emailed Seymour Duncan about the negatives reviews regarding reliability and they said...

"The issues on Harmony Central refer to the earliest batch of pickups we sent out last year. All of those problems have since been ironed out."